We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Galway to Killarney

California
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Galway to Killarney

How many days should I plan for if I'd like to travel from Galway to Killarney? I'd like to visit the Cliffs of Moher, stop in Lahinch to have lunch and continue on to Bunratty Castle and then to Killarney. Should I book a room for one night to break up the trip, or can it be done in one day? I also plan on driving the Ring of Kerry. Is it possible to adequately explore the Ring of Kerry in a day from Killarney or from the town where I spend the night to break up the trip between Galway and Killarney?

Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,572 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Galway to Killarney

Hi there,

you are looking at Km250 from Galway > Moher > Killarney...

You can visit the Moher in 1.5/2 hours.. so if you leave Galway early, you can do it in 1 day...

I did visit the Ring of K and took me all day, leaving Killarney around 08.30am. The route covers 179 km and you wonna have plenty time to stop and take many many pictures

Edited: 4:44 am, June 07, 2012
Galway,Ireland
Destination Expert
for Galway
Level Contributor
1,762 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Galway to Killarney

Id stop for the night in the Bunratty area, too much travelling and squeezing things in for me.

Edited: 7:02 am, June 07, 2012
Guernsey, United...
Level Contributor
5,199 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Galway to Killarney

I agree with rojo81: take your time driving through the Burren to the Cliffs. It's a fascinating area with many places that you might be tempted to stop and explore:

tripadvisor.co.uk/GoListDetail-i19855-Burren…

flickr.com/photos/…

If you want to visit Bunratty Castle, bear in mind that last admission to the Castle is 4pm - or you could spend a full day in west Clare and visit the Castle the following morning en-route to Killarney. Allow 1hr for the drive from the west coast to Bunratty village.

shannonheritage.com/Attractions/…

We stayed in this b&b, which is right in the village centre, within walking distance of the Castle, restaurants, pubs etc:

www.bunrattycourtyard.com/asp/section.asp?s=1

Killarney and Ring of Kerry

I think it would be far too much driving to travel from Bunratty to Kerry and drive around the Ring in 1 day. Allow 2-2.5hrs for the drive from Bunratty to Killarney - hopefully it will be closer to 2hrs. If you take the Shannon Tunnel, remember to have some change for the toll.

A day to explore the Ring of Kerry, starting from and returning to Killarney will give you time to stop and see some, but not all sights and sites along the route:

ringofkerrytourism.com/ring-of-kerry-attract…

heritageireland.ie/en/…

www.stonepages.com/ireland/staigue.html

:-)

4. Re: Galway to Killarney

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:40 pm, June 20, 2013