We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Galway Festival in August

West Midlands
Level Contributor
7 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Galway Festival in August

Thinking about flying over to the racing festival in early August. Can anyone advise on best places to stay. If anything like the Cheltenham Festival I usually stay about 10 miles away due to keeping costs down on accomodation, but I wouldn't want to hire a car and would like to be taxi/bus ride away from the course.

Ideally like to stay somewhere with a few pubs/restaurants as enjoy a few beers.

Your advice would be welcome

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
11,339 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Galway Festival in August

It's nearly worse than Cheltenham!!To be honest, the best craic is in the city of Galway itself, but you will pay top dollar.Likewise, taxis tend to stay fairly locally and you might find it hard to get one to go so far out.

Oranmore might be the best bet for what you seek, but I still say the city will be the best for fun!

Galway, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Galway
Level Contributor
1,963 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Galway Festival in August

Are you planning on coming for the full week or the 2 main days (wednesday & thursday?) If you are coming for just a couple of days - consider Friday and Saturday - most of the main visitors are gone and its mostly locals who attend on these days. Much easier to get to / from the racecourse and not as frantic!

As Harvey said - race week is oneo f the busiest weeks in Galway, even if numbers had dropped a little in the last couple of years and so the hotels tend to take full advantage of that with regards prices.

You have a couple of options - you can stay in Oranmore as already suggested, it has a number of pubs and restaurants so keep you entertained in the evenings.

You can stay in the city centre - there are plenty of buses going to and from the racecourse for easy access and you wont have to worry about getting taxis at night.

You can stay in Salthill - a couple of miles from the city centre, so you can still access the buses to the racecourse and it would be a manageble walk home at night if you could not get any taxis.

Where ever you decide to stay - book soon!

Galway,Ireland
Destination Expert
for Galway
Level Contributor
1,725 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Galway Festival in August

As said above the best bet would be after Thursday and therefore it will be quieter but thats also a Bank Hol weekend so god knows. Galway Races cant really be done properly on the cheap. I know the Claregalway hotel usually make a big deal of the week and thats a little out of the city so might be an option. Couple of other pubs round there too but again the best atmosphere is round the town.

Milford, Connecticut
Level Contributor
34 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Galway Festival in August

What are the dates of this festival just curious, Im looking for somewhere to stay for one night in Galway on Aug 4th and CANNOT find anywhere

Galway,Ireland
Destination Expert
for Galway
Level Contributor
1,725 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Galway Festival in August

30th July-5th August, id suggest trying the b&bs as hotels would be all but gone, outside of that try the hostels, Snoozles and Sleepzone get very good reviews and i assume they do private rooms too.

Dublin, Ireland
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Galway Festival in August

The Irish tourist board is hyping up Galway during The Galway Races and the Volvo Ocean race resulting in visitors sourcing accommodation in areas miles away from Galway city. In reality there is still plenty of accommodation in Galway areas such as salthill at affordable prices

That's my 2 cents

7. Re: Galway Festival in August

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, June 28, 2013