We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Galway - Salthill - places to stay

Which Galway hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Stone Ridge, New...
Level Contributor
11 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Galway - Salthill - places to stay

Hello,

There will be three of us visiting in mid-May: my husband, adult daughter and myself. We will spend three nights in Galway, but I'm having a difficult time finding a hotel (or anything, for that matter) where the three of us can share a room (budget reasons!). I've heard conflicing reports about Salthill and its proximity to the city of Galway. Wherever we stay, we would like to be able to walk to the restaurants and pubs in the city. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Terry

Galway,Ireland
Destination Expert
for Galway
Level Contributor
1,665 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Galway - Salthill - places to stay

Salthill is a 20-30 minute walk from the city centre depending on the person. The bus runs frequently too and is a 10 minute journey, they dont run late at night however.

Virginia
Level Contributor
213 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Galway - Salthill - places to stay

I like staying at the Marless House B&B in Salthill. It is in a great location and I enjoyed the walks into city centre along the prom.

Ocean Shores...
Level Contributor
303 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Galway - Salthill - places to stay

You might try Griffin Lodge, about 2 blocks from all the downtown pubs, restaurants, and shopping. Not sure about triple rooms, but we were happy with the double, fair price, good breakfast and an outstanding hostess; Ann. rvflyer

Middletown
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Galway - Salthill - places to stay

We just returned from Galway to visit my college age daughter who is studying there. We stayed at the Western Hotel Suites, there were 3 of us. It was lovely and we had a full apartment suite with 2 bedrooms and a fully equipped kitchen if you needed it, including a washer/dryer. Also breakfast was included and the hotel restaurant was great. The best thing about it was the easy walk into town, only 5 minutes.

Nebraska
Level Contributor
516 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Galway - Salthill - places to stay

Griffin Lodge, Linderhof, Prague House, Adare B&Bs all in lower Salthill. Great location. Lovely 5 minute walk to River Corrib and another 5 minutes to Quay street. Not sure about triple rooms but you could get a single room and twin or double. It's slightly more per person but not that much. B&Bs are quite reasonable in Galway city.

Stone Ridge, New...
Level Contributor
11 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Galway - Salthill - places to stay

Barbara, I contacted the Western and they had something, but in order to get to it you had to go through the underground parking lot and up a flight of stairs. Was that where your room was? I wasn't thrilled at my daughter having to go through the parking lot at night, by herself, so I didn't consider it as an option. I'd be interested in hearing what you're experience was.

Galway, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Galway
Level Contributor
1,963 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Galway - Salthill - places to stay

Have you tried Jurys? They do triple rooms & location wise - they are excellent - just off the end of Quay Street and the Latin quarter where there are plenty of bars and restaurants:

http://galwayhotels.jurysinns.com

Middletown
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Galway - Salthill - places to stay

Terry,

Exactly. I wasen't aware of how to get to the room until we got there. You do take the elevator to the parking garage which is quite small and walk through it to the outside and then a doorway with about 15 steps to go up to where the suites were.. I too was not thrilled but we had no issues. You can also approach the area from a side street and access the area without walking through the garage. But, the garage is small and not enclosed,and we got quite used to the journey. My daughter thought it was no big deal and she did come through it alone at night as she lasted longer in the pubs than we did.

I would do it again, it was worth it for the convenient, easy walk to town. The staff are lovely , the breakfast in the restaurant is great and I loved the apartment. Good luck.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
5 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Galway - Salthill - places to stay

HI

It does depend on your budget, If you are looking for a bed and breakfast I would recommend Adare guest house it is around a fifteen minute walk from salt hill. It is just down the road from Jurys Inn.

I have written a review of this property.

I hope you enjoy your holiday in Galway. It is truely a fantastic city. There is so much to do and see their.

Cheers

10. Re: Galway - Salthill - places to stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:16 am, June 19, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Galway