We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Aran Islands - Sept day trip

Which Galway hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Save Topic
Aran Islands - Sept day trip

What's the best way to tour Inish Mor? I understand you take a ferry there, but what are the options once on the Island? I have heard renting a bike for self tour or tours with the minibuses/vans and pony. Any suggestions, we are only there for the day 30 Sept

Huntsville, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,263 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Aran Islands - Sept day trip

2pilgrims,

I think you need to wait until you are there to decide. For our visit in March 2006 it was a very cold/blustery day and renting a bike (while possible) would have made for a miserable day so we opted with hopping in a minivan that was there waiting when the ferry got in (there are plenty lined up). The van will take you around the island giving you time to get out and see the highlights and give great information on the island and daily life. My parents did a pony cart and they missed most of the island due to the timing (and my niece with them). I would recommend to map out what you may want to see if you bike (if you are so inclined) and then use the minivan as the backup.

We were in Donegal this past September 30th and it was a fairly cold, windy and wet day (if memory serves)....but weather will change, on the 29th it was a beautiful sunny warmish day and we were walking around Glenveagh in long sleeved shirts, no jackets.

Florida
Level Contributor
1,015 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Aran Islands - Sept day trip

We toured in June of '09, and used the pony trap. We were fine going up to Dun Aengus, but on the return trip down to the village, the wind off the ocean kicked in and it felt like we were freezing.

Wind chill makes a difference. I had on a LS tee shirt, a wool sweater, and a fleece hoody, and the strong wind cut right througt them

Once back in the village, we were so happy to have HOT food in the American Bar

Ellen

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
11,966 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Aran Islands - Sept day trip

We were there in mid-May last year and had gorgeous weather for renting a bike. The cost was 10 euros for the day and there are several bike shops within walking distance of the ferry dock. (We rented at the shop next to the Tourist Information center). They will give you a map when you rent the bike and some hints on how to go (upper road going out, lower road coming back). If you want additional information, we found the staff at the Tourist Info office to be very helpful.

There is a Spar supermarket in town (just to make sure you don't miss it, ask for directions). It was a good place for us to stock up on picnic items for our backpack. We found ourselves at the far end of the island at lunchtime where there are no restaurants or pubs, so we had a nice picnic overlooking the sea.

We had spent the previous night on the island, so we were able to pick up our bikes right at 10am. If you take the first ferry to Inishmore, you should get in around 11:30 am which should give you enough time to bike to Dun Aengus and the Seven Churches before returning to town via the road by Seal Beach.

Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,554 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Aran Islands - Sept day trip

I did the bike.. nice.. until started raining like hell.. and got a bus on the way back..

Did the Bus last year with few friends visiting from Italy.. relaxing..

I would prob say the bike, but only if the weather looks 110% fine.. which in Ireland isn t easy!

5. Re: Aran Islands - Sept day trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:21 am, April 01, 2013