We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Direct flights to Galway from Dublin, Shannon, or Heathrow?

Lansdale, PA
Level Contributor
82 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
Direct flights to Galway from Dublin, Shannon, or Heathrow?

Hello all - I'm trying to make arrangements for a trip my husband and I will be taking in September 2012. We've got our B & B sorted (staying in Clifden), so now I'm tackling the flights.

What a nightmare!

I can get us to Dublin on a non-stop flight (we're in Philadelphia), but beyond that, I haven't found a lot of options. Are there direct flights to Galway from Boston?

Thanks in advance for any insight you could share.

Katy

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
18,930 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Direct flights to Galway from Dublin, Shannon, or Heathrow?

Never knew you had a Helicopter JD ;-}

From Shannon Airport to Galway takes a driver who knows the way on a clear road about an hour. Galway to Clifden 50 miles on the N59 at least an hour. Dublin Airport to Galway is 2 1/2 hours.

Grayslake, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,055 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Direct flights to Galway from Dublin, Shannon, or Heathrow?

I'll add my 2 cents.....from my own experience, it's great to fly non-stop to a European city, from an airport near your home. Family or friends can give you a lift to airport. More importantly, when you get back (tired!), you're done traveling.

I'd prob stay the first night in Dublin or nearby, to recharge, then drive straight to Clifden the next day. Roscommon is more than an hour's drive from DUB (I've driven that route).

Edited: 11:16 am, November 23, 2011
Dublin
Level Contributor
3,297 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Direct flights to Galway from Dublin, Shannon, or Heathrow?

Reiterating some of what I said in my earlier post - and echoing Kathy's own concern - getting off the plane in either Shannon or Dublin and attempting to drive any distance with jet lag is foolish. I'd agreed with Trintraveller - even Roscommon is too far for a trip straight off the plane in Dublin. I'd spend 24 hours in or near Dublin and make an early start on Day 2 for Clifden. As the days are still reasonably long in September, you could detour via Roscommon to dig up a few ancestors on the way to Clifden. Waiting 24 hours before you travel gives you an opportunity to enjoy the drive.

I'd also endorse the other posters views which advocate a direct flight - much less hassle than travelling via Heathrow or similar.

Huntsville, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,340 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Direct flights to Galway from Dublin, Shannon, or Heathrow?

Another option which I would lean towards would be to do the direct flight to Dublin, take the train to Galway and stay the night. Rent your car the next morning from the Budget office right on Eyre square and head to Clifden. We have done that on both of our trips so far (but this last one in September/October we dropped off the car at Budget on Eyre square, stayed the night at the Park House Hotel and then took the train to Dublin the next day.

Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
7,648 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Direct flights to Galway from Dublin, Shannon, or Heathrow?

Katy,

Have a look at Gleeson's Townhouse in the centre of Roscommon town, both as a place to stay and/or eat:

http://www.gleesonstownhouse.com/

Are your husband's ancestors from the town itself, or, elsewhere in County Roscommon?

Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
7,648 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: Direct flights to Galway from Dublin, Shannon, or Heathrow?

You might be interested in taking a quick look at these:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g315887-i9660-k346…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g186591-i88-k43992…

Galway
Level Contributor
140 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Direct flights to Galway from Dublin, Shannon, or Heathrow?

Depending on what part of Roscommon you will be staying check out the Georgina Campbell site, always useful. It lists the best accomodation in a number of towns in the County.

www.ireland-guide.com/discover/placesto.php…

bedworth
Level Contributor
172 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Direct flights to Galway from Dublin, Shannon, or Heathrow?

hi not sure if you have made your arrangements or not and I have seen a couple of folks have mentioned this, but we visit our inlaws in Galway twice a year. Although we only have an hour's flight from the UK, without hesitation we travel by coach from Dublin Airport to Galway. We either use Go Bus or Citylink. Both frequent timetables, both competitively priced and when we look out of the window at the traffic backing up in Dublin and we are free flowing in the coach lane we know we have done the right thing. Coach pick up point is 2 mins walk outside of the airport (unlike the walk from the plane through the terminal building mind - you will feel you have walked to Dublin ha ha !). Coach duration is just under 3 hours with only 1 stop in Dublin city. Enough to catch up on sleep in the comfort of someone else driving you. We cannot fault it and we have 2 kids with us too. Perhaps you could just consider the single journey outward to Galway which is only 15 euros on Go Bus and then sort your car out when you have arrived in Galway next day. It sounds like I am on commission, but honestly we have done the train, we have done the hire car, but we do this trip regularly and the coach works very well for us. Both have websites and we find emailing them or calling them is always dealt with promptly. It may not be everyone's cup of tea, but works for us. Good luck

Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
10 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Direct flights to Galway from Dublin, Shannon, or Heathrow?

Another option is take the Citylink bus from Dublin Airport to Galway & then link up the bus to Clifden (same company) http://www.citylink.ie/ this will work if yoru are staying in Clifden and don't need a car the first day.

Lansdale, PA
Level Contributor
82 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Direct flights to Galway from Dublin, Shannon, or Heathrow?

This is great information - thanks - I'll definitely check it out!

Get answers to your questions about Galway