We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ennis, galway and connemara

Lancs England
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Topic
ennis, galway and connemara

Hi I plan to start my journey from shannon airport. I was going to go straight to galway but the bus times don't tie up with my flight arrival so i thought i would stay in ennis for the first night and maybe the last. i would like to vist galway and connemara, and at some point i would also like to see the cliffs of moher. would all this be possible? i am staying for 7 nights and plan to stay in youth hostels and use the local bus service.

Level Contributor
796 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ennis, galway and connemara

What time is your flight? Have you looked at www.citylink.ie as an alternative to Buseireann.ie. They may have a time to suit.

No problem doing a tour to The Cliffs. It would make more sense to do an organised tour then to use public transport. Check out Buseireann for public transport and google O'Neachtains and Lallys for tours.

Sleepzone.ie is the best hostel in Galway and is very central.

Hope this helps.

Lancs England
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: ennis, galway and connemara

Hi, my flight arrives at 13.10 the citylink bus leaves at 13.30 even if the flight is on time i don't think i'll be in time to catch that one and the next is 20.00. Thank you for your advice on the YH that is the one i'm thinking of staying in both in galway and connemara. do you think its worthwhile staying in Ennis or what about Doolin? During the day i like to walk and be near the coast/beaches, the evenings i would like to spend in a cosy pub listening to traditional music, what do you think?

Level Contributor
796 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ennis, galway and connemara

Hi 40something.

There is a bus eireann bus leaving Shannon at 14.25 and again at 15.25. It's the Cork Limerick Galway service. Check www.buseireann.ie and follow the Shannon Airport Link. It sounds like you'd like Galway, but you can get a bus to Doolin for a change of scenery. Or maybe head up to Westport. Theres a good hostel in Westport across the road from Matt Molloys pub, called the Atlantic Club Hostel.

www.irishbeds.com/hostel/0110.html

Hope this helps.

Level Contributor
796 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ennis, galway and connemara

Sorry, it's 14.55 and 15.55!

Lancs England
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: ennis, galway and connemara

many thanks for your help, I'm now thinking of staying in Doolin for the first two nights, then connemara, maybe westport then Galway.

i still can't get my head around the bus service, it looks like i maybe better off getting a bus to ennis then a bus to doolin, but they only seem to operate once daily and that's in the morning before my flight lands, any other suggestions?

thanks

Level Contributor
796 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ennis, galway and connemara

I just responded to your other post. You may be better heading to Galway or Ennis first. You can get a bus from Galway to Doolin. It takes 1 hour 40 mins direct. Maybe by juggling your nights again you'll get to see what you want.

You could use Galway as a base for Connemara and do tours. If you stay in Connemara and want to explore, your options are limited as the tours start in Galway. You'll need to rely on public transport which isn't really feasible.

Google Lallys and O'Neachtains and look at their tours.

Best of luck with it.

Lancs England
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: ennis, galway and connemara

thanks for your advise, that sounds reasonable, I think Galway should be my base to explore. Its just that I was thinking if I stayed in Doolin and had too many guinnesses at the pub, I wouldn't have far to go.....guess I'll have to think again... I looked for the hostel you suggested in Westport but I couldn't find it listed, do you know if they have a web address?

many thanks once again

your'e a star*