We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Last minute hotel etc. suggestions for Galway/Clare

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Last minute hotel etc. suggestions for Galway/Clare

I thought I'd try re-posting this in the Galway forum as it seems to have got lost in the main forum. Apologies for the double post - but I could really use some suggestions, especially as to hotels/B&Bs. Thanks!

Hello, one and all! Some of you may recognize me from the French forums where I used to hang out until real life took over...

I've just decided at very short notice (It's a long story...) to add 48 hours in Clare and Galway to a mostly business trip to London for which I leave this Thursday. I was supposed to return to the US on March 10, but just learned last night that an old friend I haven't seen for years is arriving in Shannon - her first visit to Ireland - that Friday for a business visit to Galway and has 24 hours free.

So I'm flying to Shannon March 9, staying in the Bunratty/Shannon area, possibly at the Courtyard. Comments? Gallagher's for dinner? (I won't have a car.)

Meeting my friend early Friday morning at Shannon. Tour of the Cliffs of Moher and the Burren, ending up in Galway. Possibly lunch in Doolin. Suggestions?

I haven't been in that part of Ireland in many years. I need suggestions for a central hotel or B/B in Galway for Friday night, March 10 - preferably pleasant and moderately priced - is $100 to $150 a reasonable figure? It should be within fairly easy reach of the bus station as I will need to take the bus back to the Shannon area on Saturday.

Any recommendations for dinner? Something pleasant and basically Irish with good seafood and not outrageously expensive?

Also where should I stay Saturday night? I have to get to Shannon by bus or taxi by around 9:30am Sunday. I'd like somewhere with a pleasant pub or two, preferably with good traditional music. Would Ennis be my best bet? I'm thinking Bunratty is probably not the best place.

Lastly does anybody know if there are any good hurling/football/rugby matches in the Galway/Ennis - even Limerick perhaps - area that Saturday afternoon.

Sorry about all the questions. This all happened so fast that I haven't had time to do any research at all. I think I can still find my way from Shannon through Clare to Galway. I don't think the geography has changed much - but I imagine everything else will have changed enormously in the last 20 or so years.

I'll be very grateful for any suggestions.

Humptulips...
Level Contributor
3,287 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Last minute hotel etc. suggestions for Galway/Clare

Hi Irishrovr. I looked last night and now for a one day tour, but to no avail. I can think of a couple from Dublin. I'd stay the first night in Bunratty. I think you'd be bored by yourself in Shannon. I stole this from Bean. Park House B&B Bunratty

homepage.tinet.ie/~parkhouse/

Or Headley Court Bunratty

www.headleycourt.net/

Both have been used by quite a few people using this forum and all have been very happy with their accommodation and their hosts.... You could have fun going to Bunratty Castle and Folkpark, stay the night and get back to Shannon in the morning. What time will you meet them? Just to know how rested they'll be, where are they coming from? On my last visit to Dublin, a taxi driver told me how he has many times driven folks around for a day, at their leisure. Maybe that is a good idea here for one day. Does anyone here know roughly what that would cost? The alternative is buseireann.ie. Look in the journey planner. Good luck.

Humptulips...
Level Contributor
3,287 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Last minute hotel etc. suggestions for Galway/Clare

The banquet at night might also be a good idea to meet people, even though they'd be mostly tourists. Time appears to be of the essence here, so I stole this from gariem..."I don't know if I was really recommending Marless,it was more comparing it with another one. I 'm sure it's great as it has good reviews. For what you want though it's a bit far from the centre of town. The ones to check for easy access to the city are St Martins, Adare House, Prague House, Ross House, Roncalli House, Rocklodge, Lawndale. Check www.gulliver.ie and look at whats available in Whitestrand, Fr Griffin, Grattan Rd, Dr Colohan Rd, Beach Court, Ocean Wave. Your 10/15 mins walk from town here, Quay Street area. College Road is also central, 5/10 mins walk to Eyre Square."

Orlando, FL
Level Contributor
1,040 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Last minute hotel etc. suggestions for Galway/Clare

PARK HOUSE B&B (BUNRATTY) = EXCELLENT!!!!

Just stayed there a week ago. Tell Mairead that Kerry King suggested it...I owe her one for her great hospitality & recommendation for the "Brandy & Port cure-all" while I was sick there. You will really enjoy her lovely home!

Just outside Galway (in Clarenbridge) had a "wonderful meal" at Moran's...especially if you like seafood! Lot's of very famous people have dined there!

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Last minute hotel etc. suggestions for Galway/Clare

Thanks, Boru'sClues and CruiseKing!

I think I confused the issue a bit when I mentioned that I would not have a car. My friend is renting a car - which is why I am not. However, she has to meet up with her hosts for the remainder of her stay on Saturday morning in Galway so I need to get back to the vicinity of Shannon on my own. I know that this is pretty easy to do by bus.

Was just wondering where would be the best place to stay on my own on Saturday night.

I appreciate the feast suggestion, but I think I'll take a pass on that. I did it once a long time ago, and enjoyed it, but for me once was enough. I'd rather hang out at a pub and meet some local folk. Ennis, perhaps?

Moran's is a GREAT suggestion. I ate there a couple of times many years ago, but had not remembered the name of the place. I think I'll definitely make that the Friday night dinner place.

I'll check out all the hotel/B&B suggestions too. The Bunratty B&B suggestion looks good. Brandy and port? You must have been nigh unto death for someone to suggest that. Hope it worked for you.

I'm reminded of Samuel Johnson's (I think it was...) remark: Claret for boys; port for men; brandy for heroes."

Thanks again - and if anybody has any other suggestions, I'll be happy to hear them.

Level Contributor
796 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Last minute hotel etc. suggestions for Galway/Clare

Kerry, we stayed in Park House after seeing Santa in Bunratty in December and agree with your comments on Mairead. She's a gem and her house is lovley. I'm sure you can review the B and B on Aran. I 've posted on ones not listed. Go to "post a review" on the home page and you can go from there. Sounds really upsetting to meet such a rude person. As for turning people away....no way in February. He just wasn't giving you back the voucher. Did you go to Omey or was that a washout as well?

Irishrovr, Boru has given you the advice on central places to stay. You could also try College Road as your near the Bus Station. Google it, there lots to choose from. If you arrive without a booking go to the Tourist Office near the bus station and they'll book you in somewhere. There'll be plenty of availability.

Two hotels near the bus station are Park House (again) and The Fairgreen Hotel. They may be around your budget of €150ish.

Marina's in the Raddisson is a great seafood restaurant. A real treat.

Hope this helps:)

Orlando, FL
Level Contributor
1,040 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Last minute hotel etc. suggestions for Galway/Clare

LOL...well, it didn't make a "man, or a hero out of me" but it definitely did the trick! Thank goodness cause I had to fly back home last Tuesday & that would not have been a good thing feeling the way I did (waiting for somebody to shoot me & put me out of my misery) from that absolutely horrendous virus!

BTW, my companion is a big oyster fanatic and said that Moran's was the VERY BEST she had ever eaten. Not cheap though @ 23Euro for a dozen, but hey...we were on holiday, sitting in front of their peat fire & they were well worth the price. Have fun!!

Orlando, FL
Level Contributor
1,040 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Last minute hotel etc. suggestions for Galway/Clare

Hi Gariem...I remember when you went to see Santa! Now that I've been there, all I can say is....what a great place to go to for a Santa visit! I loved Bunratty Folk Park & YES, I did Omey. I'm trying to do my trip with "seperate posts" rather than 1 long one in case somebody wants to find info on certain places. I just did one for my 1st day (Spiddal)...take a look...it may be a restaurant you're familiar with & if not you should definitely give it a try! More later in the forum posts on my "day to day" experiences. Cheers!

Level Contributor
796 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Last minute hotel etc. suggestions for Galway/Clare

Yes. I like Padraicin's. I recommended it recently, but I have't been there in so long. I did wonder if it was still open as I saw it up for sale some time ago.

It's nice for Sunday Lunch. It tends to be a summer thing with us as the kids can play on the beach afterwards.

Great views on a sunny day.

Under the clock
Level Contributor
205 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Last minute hotel etc. suggestions for Galway/Clare

Another vote for the Fairgreen Hotel. It is literally a 5 minute walk from the bus/rail station and we stayed there before Xmas for about €60 p.p.s. A single room in a College Road B&B wont be a huge pile cheaper.

Lovely hotel in a cul de sac across street from Radisson Hotel, rooms are very smart, super comfortable bed. Of all the hotels close to the bus station - Park House, Radisson, Great Southern it would be the best value imho.

Humptulips...
Level Contributor
3,287 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Last minute hotel etc. suggestions for Galway/Clare

Aw man. See? Now the world will have to wait yet another day for non fossil fuel because of my searching! :-). Ah, that's okay. It's really good actually that you will have a car for the day. So that leaves Saturday when she leaves. I looked at gaa.ie, but didn't see anything. I have the Clare Champion at home and will take a look. Maybe there's a match mentioned or something. Rugby.ie showed you're going to just miss a match. Maybe Bean knows of a rugby match. Good luck.