We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

going with no reservations?

Whitehouse Station...
Level Contributor
24 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
going with no reservations?

Hi I will be in Ireland 10-3 till the 14th, I have been researching this trip since July and keep going back and forth on where I want to go and stay. I have written down all the attractions and places on what to see in all the different counties, I have even checked different b&b's and hotels for each county, I really have done my homework. What has been stressing me out is having to be in a certain place on a certain day. What if I decide I want to go to Dublin instead of Galway ect. So I have decided to keep my last nights reservation by Shannon airport, I have a rental car and just drive to where ever I want on my list and find a place at the end of the day. As I said before I have really researched different B&B's and hotels and have a good Idea on where I would like to stay once I get there. My question is can I do this at this time of year ? Just wing it and enjoy where ever I wind up? Please help I leave in 2 weeks. I will be traveling with my husband so I am not alone.

Edited: 8:20 pm, September 17, 2011
Whitehouse Station...
Level Contributor
24 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: going with no reservations?

Exactly how I was thinking, so good you agree. Thanks

Whitehouse Station...
Level Contributor
24 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: going with no reservations?

Thanks I kind of have a first night reservation but def.. a last night.

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
413 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: going with no reservations?

I was going to say you should probably get a reservation for the first night or two, but after that you should be fine. Looks like you have that sort of plan.

I was in Ireland in May/June 2011 and I did not have problems with finding accommodation or with extending my stay when I wanted to stay longer than originally planned in one place.

I like your way of planning. Get a list of the main things you really want to see, then work out rough routes between them and check what else there is to see along the way. That way you'll be able to adjust your plans and routes according to circumstances and weather.

It's not a holiday if you have to stick to rigid schedules and plans, I'd say! It's also a bit of a waste to go there and then not see anything much, because you went in "blind". Somewhere in between is the ideal.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: going with no reservations?

We are planning on swinging through Ireland at the beginning of September. We have our place booked in Dublin and Dingle, but are leaving the last part of the trip open (Galway). Sounds like most people are pretty confident that we can stay without a problem. There are 4 of us, would it be a problem booking in early September on the fly in Galway? Thx in advance!

Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,963 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: going with no reservations?

You should be fine - the only problem could be the first weekend in Galway (around the 2nd) as there is an Iron man competition on and it was very busy last year, other than that, there should be no problems.

16. Re: going with no reservations?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, August 21, 2013