We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Clifden

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
17 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
Clifden

Would Clifden be a good place to visit in February? Is it far from the City of Galway?

Galway, Ireland
3 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Clifden

Hi there,

Clifden is about 50 miles north of galway. Its a nice drive along the coast road. Its very much a tourist town so you may find it a bit quiet in Feb but worth a day trip for the drive alone. There is public transport available if you don't hire a car.

ireland
Level Contributor
171 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Clifden

The public transport to Clifden is terrible, make sure you have a car. The coast road would take a few hours but the direct route - away from the coast and past the bogs, mountains and lakes, is 50 miles.

The Clifden area is fairly quiet and wet in February, but not without its charms. Without the huge numbers of tourists it sees in the summer months, it is easy to get a hotel room, meal and seat in a pub. In fact, there's nothing better than going for a bracing walk in Connemara and ending up having a pint of guinness in a pub with an open fire as the light starts to fade.

I'd recommend you take a few days and base yourself in Clifden from where you can visit Roundstone (gorgeous fishing village), Cleggan, Inishbofin (worth spending a night on 'Bofin), Leenane, Kylemore and then go on to Westport.

ireland
Level Contributor
88 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Clifden

hi there,

cliften is about an hour and a half from galway city. i love connemara but february can prove a little dull out there. it is thriving in the summer but this time of year is very cold and it rains a lot!!!! i would definately recommend a visit as there are a lot of beautiful towns and villages near cliften. however, to really appreciate this area of galway it would be advisable to visit nearer the summer. while there will be a lot of tourists at this time there will also be a lot more craic and jizz- as the irish say!!however, if you are coming i advise bringing a lot of warm clothes.oh and a rain jacket!

anyway enjoy your trip!!

Minneapolis, MN
Level Contributor
90 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Clifden

I visited Clifden but it was in June and we were there on a BEAUTIFUL day. The area around Connemara is so breathtaking I could have stayed hiking around there forever. I loved seeing all the sheep with different colors on them. Got chased by a few as well. LOL.