We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Galway going south

Oklahoma City
Level Contributor
171 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Galway going south

It's me.......you know.........Oklahoma City? Cultural Center of the Universe? I have another question!

After seeing the Cliffs of Moher, would you drive from there over to Ennis or down the coast spending a night in Kilrush and take the ferry? ( destination is Dingle.)

Thanks!

Humptulips...
Level Contributor
3,287 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Galway going south

Hey LTC. Give us a rundown of how many days you have and your plans so far. I know you have Galway ideas and Castlegregory ideas. Where do these fit in the scheme of the days? It's important because maybe you'll see a bit of Clare on the way into Galway and will be able to make it to Kerry from there. BTW- I'm glad you tried again. Cheers.

ireland
Level Contributor
6,266 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Galway going south

remember, the ferry goes every hour on the hour from Kilimer and every hour on the half hour from Tarbert - the return ticket fare is 22 Euro. Takes about twenty minutes.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
27,377 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Galway going south

Licence to Chill - as Boru said, it all depends on what your time frame is like.

You may actually be able to get from the Cliffs as far as some place like Listowel (great town, good pubs, great craic) rather than travelling as far as Ennis or staying in Kilrush.

We would love it if you could remind us of your proposed itinerary and then we could look at it seriously (no music, no dancing, just good wholesome advice :O)

Take Care.

Oklahoma City
Level Contributor
171 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Galway going south

Here's the proposed itinerary (late March or early April);

Day 1 Arrive Shannon & drive to Galway for 2 nights. Explore town, staying close the 1st day.

Day 2 Tour Connemara, Kylemore Abbey and Clifden. Might incorporate the town of Cong if time permits.

Day 3 Cliffs of Moher in the morning, and begin driving south. There the queston is. Ferry or over to Ennis? Where to stay for 1 night?

Days 4 through 7 Dingle. I love it here. Ancestors from a little village called Emila, and the cousin in Castlegregory. I've stayed at Milltown House before. Any suggestions?

Day 8 Drive towards Shannon, staying the night at Dromoland Castle if I can afford it!

Thanks,

LTC

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
55,639 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Galway going south

My opinion is that if you've just left Galway City you might be in for something a bit slower paced. Ennis is not as big or busy as Galway, but can be a busy little town.

I'd opt for staying somewhere in Clare, either Doolin or elsewhere along the coast, and then driving via the ferry the next morning on to Dingle.

Humptulips...
Level Contributor
3,287 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Galway going south

Hey LTC. Cong shouldn't be a problem. It also depends on how much you enjoy the driving and how early you'll get going in the morning. Personally I like it during the day, but it's a bit stressful and pointless over there at night. Therefore, some would stop at Doolin for the night after The Burren and The Cliffs. That's what I'd do if time permits, which for you it appears it does. You love Dingle though, so if you got going early, you could make it not being too rushed. The cliffs don't take long. At first when you get near the edge you look out and with the almost inevitable wind you feel small. You walk around a bit and then get over yourself and move onward. I'd say a half an hour there would suffice. If you stay in Doolin, I haven't stayed in either, but these two come highly recommended. First for location alone( I know well where it is) and reputation there's seacrest-doolin.com. The other, which has another thread running today, is doolinlodge.com. Seeing as how it's March, I'd have those two numbers and maybe a couple more and carry them with me. Then on the day, I'd see the progress, then phone ahead to check. I'd do the same with Dingle numbers. Also, if you stay in Doolin you'll have time to see something that is often overlooked. Usually you'd head South toward Carron from Ballyvaughn. Along the way is Corkscrew Hill (slow), Aliwee Caves and Poulnabrone Dolmen (one of the best). The overlooked part is from Ballyvaughn, West to Fanore and Black Head. A coworker is from Ballyvaughn and that is his favorite part around there. I'd find it hard to argue. Okay, so if you stay in Doolin, the next day wouldn't be too bad at all and like mentioned, take shannonferries.com. Between mid March and September they go every half hour. I'd say that's a must because you can see Bunratty when you're near there at Drumoland. I hope we are more helpful. Cheers.

Oklahoma City
Level Contributor
171 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Galway going south

Thanks Boru!

So you think reservations won't be required in Doolin in March?

Humptulips...
Level Contributor
3,287 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Galway going south

Probably not in March. Like I said keep the numbers and when you've seen a good bit of what you want to see, call them from some town to check for availability. That also means if you decide to go for Dingle to call ahead from Clare. Cheers.

Oklahoma City
Level Contributor
171 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Galway going south

btt

Get answers to your questions about Galway