We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eating out, Galway City Centre

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
60 posts
89 reviews
Save Topic
Eating out, Galway City Centre

Hi

My good lady wife and I will be in Galway for two nights this week, and would appreciate some recommendations for where to eat at night. Cost isn't much of an issue, but relaxed surroundings are generally preferred to overly formal places.

Anyone got a "must eat here" place to recommend ?

Thanks

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
15,372 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Eating out, Galway City Centre

my favorite is mcdonaghs....oooh, i love their fish and chips....the best i had in all of ireland.....

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
58,916 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Eating out, Galway City Centre

I really enjoyed the Malt House, didn't get to it on my most recent trip but enjoyed it twice for dinner on previous visits.

http://www.themalthouse.ie/

Mentioned in this post
The Malt House
The Malt House
14 Reviews
Galway, Ireland
Roland, Iowa
Level Contributor
234 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Eating out, Galway City Centre

There was a wonderful little restaurant/cafe right across the way from the Spanish Arch. We got the BEST potato soup and brown bread there.

Very relaxed. But small. It's maybe for a nice lunch, not a grand evening meal.

We were going with inexpensive meals at the time... This was 10 years ago... I wonder if it's still there!

Val

Mentioned in this post
The Spanish Arch
The Spanish Arch
539 Reviews
Galway, Ireland
Galway
Level Contributor
135 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Eating out, Galway City Centre

Mike

Try The Quays pub on.......Quay Street!

They serve pretty decent food in a sort of lower mezzanine level. You still get the buzz of a friendly pub, but without the drinkers actually being in the same area. Nicely presented, not like standard pub fare at all.

Also, McSwiggans at the top of Woodquay. Another pub, but good atmosphere and the top floor is given over to dining facilities.

The ones posted above by others are fine too, although the Malt House can be a little formal, in my own opinion.

Have fun

Mentioned in this post
Quay Street
Quay Street
2,007 Reviews
Galway, Ireland
McSwiggans
McSwiggans
882 Reviews
Galway, Ireland
The Malt House
The Malt House
14 Reviews
Galway, Ireland
Ireland
Level Contributor
45 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Eating out, Galway City Centre

I'd highly recommend Oscar's on Dominic Street.

ireland
Level Contributor
6,266 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Eating out, Galway City Centre

oscars on dominic street is to die for (across from the roisin dubhs)

it is nothing to look at from the outside, but believe me, once you go int there it is a different world.

the food is AMAZING, you get little surprises between each course, i.e. soup samples, sorbets, the atmosphere is so relaxed I think if you want to lie back and sleep they wouldnt care. The sfatt is extremely nice and it is a food experience rather than an dinner out. The menu is extensive. It is reasonable compared to some of the restaurants, but in saying that , it is not on the cheap side either.

There are many restaurants in the Quay Street area that you can pick and choose from - yes McDonaghs is great for seafood, and you have italian restaurants, and pub restaurants.

I would suggest you avoid the Quay Street Restaurant/Martines wine bar. Although this was excellent a few years ago, they now seem to just serve up any old slosh to the passers by including plates of raw onions and parnsips as veggies. its overpriced and the staff just dont seem to care about what they serve up.

Dominic street is just over the bridge from Quay Street - there is also a large pub there -Monroes that serves hearty cheap lunches and fab pizza.

Mentioned in this post
Quay Street
Quay Street
2,007 Reviews
Galway, Ireland
New Hampshire
Level Contributor
2,785 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Eating out, Galway City Centre

The BEST meal I had in all of Ireland was at Ard Bia @ Nimmo's (under the Spanish Arch heading towards the Long Walk.)

Excellent wine bar atmosphere, and the food is absolutely gorgeous. It wasn't overly formal, and to me it seemed relaxed and friendly. Not cheap, but not the most expensive meal we ate in Ireland either. Definitely need a ressie on a weekend night, though.

Recommended to us by our caterer B&B hostess who knows the entire Galway foodie scene.

Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
The Spanish Arch
The Spanish Arch
539 Reviews
Galway, Ireland
ireland
Level Contributor
6,266 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Eating out, Galway City Centre

yes ard bia got some really good write ups recently

I only ever had the soup there -but it is like a hearty meal and well worth it.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
60 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Eating out, Galway City Centre

Many thanks for all the suggestions. Unfortunately we only saw the first by the time we left, but McDonahs was excellent.

We loved Galway though, and will definitely go back, so your suggestions are much appreciated.

10. Re: Eating out, Galway City Centre

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:21 am, September 05, 2009