We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip to Giant's Causeway

Galway, Ireland
1 post
Save Topic
Trip to Giant's Causeway

I am currently staying in Galway and would like to make a trip to Giant's Causeway. This upcoming weekend I am going to a concert in Dublin so ideally I would like to go from Galway to Dublin to Giant's Causeway and then back to Galway. I could leave Dublin on Friday and arrive back in Galway as late as Monday. What is the best/least expensive way for me to do this?

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,383 posts
389 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip to Giant's Causeway

Train (or bus) from Dublin to Belfast, then train to Portrush would be a good idea. Portrush is 8 miles from GC.

Then get the causeway bus from Portrush to GC. I mention Portrush because it is a very nice seaside town in it's own right. If bus times dont suit you can always get a taxi. They are well used to that trip up there.

If you want to overnight in Portrush, there is plenty of accommodation there.

Coleraine is another good base for GC. It's 10 miles from Coleraine to GC

Edited: 8:41 am, October 22, 2012
Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,383 posts
389 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip to Giant's Causeway

Details for causeway bus.

causewaycoastway.com/travel/causeway-buses.p…

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
17,751 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip to Giant's Causeway

Train to Dublin...then Belfast, take a tour from Belfast http://www.belfastphototours.co.uk/ if you decide on using Portrush then Avarest Guesthouse above the harbour is our usual resting place http://www.avarest.com/

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,383 posts
389 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip to Giant's Causeway

Tonys tour from Belfast sounds like a good and possibly cheaper way see the GC. It would also be nice to join others on the tour.

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,365 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip to Giant's Causeway

Yes, at this time of year it is very difficult to visit the Causeway unless you have your own car and to be honest between train and taxi fares, it would definitely be cheaper to go to Belfast, overnight there and do a day trip from Belfast. Several tour companies run day trips.

This also would allow you to explore Belfast:) Just note that Belfast is quiet especially on Sunday morning so you could look at seeing the city on Saturday and then do the Causeway trip on Sunday. Then back to Galway on Monday.

Lots in Belfast to keep you amused for a day but just note that it is best to book the Titanic Experience in advance as it still gets booked out some days and it is half-term.

6. Re: Trip to Giant's Causeway

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, November 03, 2013