We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ballyconneelly, Roundstone, Cleggan or?

Guernsey, United...
Level Contributor
5,199 posts
137 reviews
Save Topic
Ballyconneelly, Roundstone, Cleggan or?

Have found properties to rent in all the above-mentioned places (for 1 week, middle of August).

Where should we stay?

We have two young children (aged 4 and 8), who are pretty easy to please. A nice sandy beach nearby would be a bonus. The property at Ballyconneelly is my favourite, so unless some-one has anything adverse to say about that area??

This will be our first visit to Galway, so any recommendations for activities for us or the children (our son in particular loves to explore ruins!), and places to eat will be most welcome!

thank you :-)

Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
518 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ballyconneelly, Roundstone, Cleggan or?

Given 15 - 20 minute drive to Clifden from each area for main shopping,cinema, etc. you will have as good a stay in any of your final choice

All have great beaches in and around locality so you will have plenty of choice there.All with local shops close by and as all are in rural areas you will have plenty of exploration space for the kiddies. Given that you have a choice or 2 for each area ,why not Google Earth each and get a good 'birds-eye' view before booking.

Roundstone can be expensive to eat in as it is very busy that period and Ballyconeely has nothing at all.Olivers in Cleggan is good but booking necessary.Clifden will probably end up being your best bet and a good place for kids is the Signal Bar -just across from Station Hotel entrance.It is very good value for families in general with well prepared and generous servings with excellent seating..The Alcock and Brown Hotel was a very good place but is closed at moment after being sold and its future is unknown.Derryclare Rest has quite good pizza,pasta take away.

Merced, California
Destination Expert
for Killarney
Level Contributor
3,436 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ballyconneelly, Roundstone, Cleggan or?

The only one of the 3 that I have stayed overnight was a week in a rental out past Cleggan many years ago. I liked its remote area and the fun of almost getting stuck on Omey Island overnight!

http://www.connemaraireland.com/ seems would be an excellent site for quick comparison of all 3

Guernsey, United...
Level Contributor
5,199 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ballyconneelly, Roundstone, Cleggan or?

pkpj and tonyirish

Thanks very much for your helpful suggestions!

Just have to get my husband organised now :-)

Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
518 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ballyconneelly, Roundstone, Cleggan or?

if you post your final decision I will fill you in everything you need.

Ireland
Level Contributor
45 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ballyconneelly, Roundstone, Cleggan or?

For easy access to sandy beaches, Cleggan would be your best bet. There's also horse riding available in the village, trips to Inishbofin and fishing trips.

For choices of places to eat out, Clifden would win easily.

Guernsey, United...
Level Contributor
5,199 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ballyconneelly, Roundstone, Cleggan or?

m c74

Thank you for the recommendation for Cleggan - sounds very tempting, particularly the horseriding, which both my children enjoy. Might even go myself :-)! Certainly want to visit Inishbofin, as well.

I think it will all depend on what is available when we eventually get round to making a reservation. I'm "keen as mustard" to organise something for the summer - especially as I have my eye on 2/3 properties in particular, and I know from experience what a busy time of the year it is. However, my husband needs a nudge in the right direction. Poor man, he hates to be rushed into things!

Ireland
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Ballyconneelly, Roundstone, Cleggan or?

Pkpi

I have to ask you why did you say that eating in Roundstone in August is expensive? I work in a well known establishment in Roundstone and our prices remain the same whether it is January or August. And they are cheaper than most places in Clifden!

Mentioning inaccurate statements in a travel forum to complete strangers can give the wrong impression and is very unfair to those of us who work hard and and are very conscious of providing good quality food and service at a reasonable price.

Regards

Suneire

Cavan
Destination Expert
for County Cavan
Level Contributor
4,449 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ballyconneelly, Roundstone, Cleggan or?

Oh dear, falling out over the price of a meal, one doesn't need to go to Clifden or Roundstone for a cheap meal if that is what you are looking for. However if I felt the need I would eat whereever it was most convenient and we wouldn't fall out over the price. Looking forward to my next visit to Roundstone and to Clifden and being a Cavanman will probably bring my own pack-lunch, ha.ha.ha.

Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
518 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ballyconneelly, Roundstone, Cleggan or?

Don't I wish it were 'inaccurate' and unless you work in Ryans take away , Roundstone has got expensive and that is a fact that can plainly be seen on the prices quoted outside the dining establishments with only O'Dowds offering anything close to Clifden prices and don't get me started on the petrol prices.

There is nothing personal in giving my 'tuppence worth' and I could tell 'porkies' and say R'stone is competitive but a cheese sandwich at Eur6.50 and a lamb dish at Eur28.50 is expensive whether winter or summer. I would rather inform people as to correct quoted rates as given outside dining establishments as to wasteing my time entertaining people by giving mis-leading info.Better things for doing and all that.

As to how R'stone deals with issue , well I'll let you know as I check their prices over time.Clifden got same treatment a few years ago and in general listened to the market and responded accordingly.

Whether anyone has opinions as to whether R'stone is considered pricy or not, please be aware that my reply to initial query was based solely on their 2 children and their additional costs and in my view they would find it to be a pricy option as those with kids will tell you when it comes to holidays.

But as Cavan007 says ,if they all bring packed lunches then it won't matter one iota!

Guernsey, United...
Level Contributor
5,199 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ballyconneelly, Roundstone, Cleggan or?

Hmmm, interesting debate about prices for eating out. We rarely eat out at home (maybe once every 3/4 months!) - purely because with 2 young children to look after, and a husband who is rarely home before 7.30pm, we're both too exhausted! So, when we do go away, we tend to dine out a few evenings each week.

Out of interest, I had a look at the menu for the top michelin-rated restaurant in Guernsey (I have dined there on a couple of occasions - excellent!):

Main Course (examples from the menu):

Seared Scallops, Pistachio Risotto, or:

Roast Turbot with Shrimp Mushroom and Herb Butter, and Smoked New Potatoes

both £18 - that's approx 24Euro (according to XE.com)

At another very good restaurant, Roast Rack of English Lamb (hardly comparable with Irish lamb, I know :-)! ) was the same price: £18, as was Grilled Fillet Steak.

So, yes, 28.50 does seem a tad expensive, but I doubt if it would stop us dining out, purely for the reasons mentioned above. However, I appreciate that other visitors may not be in the same situation as us . . .