We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Winter Travel to Connemara

Ruth, California
2 posts
Save Topic
Winter Travel to Connemara

I want to take my first trip to Ireland this Winter! I keep getting drawn to Connemara. What should I know about traveling there alone as a 23 year old Single Girl during mid December to early January. I really need to know safety concerns, good places to stay on a low budget, things to see and pubs to try! Safety is not too big of a concern because I am a firefighter so I can handle my own but any hints would be nice. Can anyone please help me!

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
18,911 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Winter Travel to Connemara

I would opt for Galway. You have a good range of options in the City (more like a town really) plus you can get out to the Connemara and west Clare areas easily. Dublin is easily accessible on the new M6 or by public transport for a day out if you like. I can not say about the weather although it will not be warm and sunny. Galway is also a University City so there will be plenty going on for 23yr olds. Twixmass (between Christmas and Newyear) can be fairly quiet if you are out of a main location so I would avoid being out somewhere semi rural at that time.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for County Galway
Level Contributor
1,987 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Winter Travel to Connemara

Safety wouldn't be our primary concern at all but isolation and 'cabin-fever' would. Like Tony we'd suggest that you maybe focus on Galway as your primary base and take a few mini-breaks in Connemara itself at that time of year. Connemara is a beautiful but isolated region and it can get quite wild and lonely during the winter period. Clifden, however, is a year-round 'living' town and would make one such nice mini-break particularly in the lead up to Christmas period - you'll find several nice pubs to try there too ;-)

For low budget accommodation maybe check out the Sleepzone hostel chain that has a branch in central Galway, one in rural Connemara and another in the Burren - they might even do a deal on visiting all three?

http://www.sleepzone.ie/

For 'things to do' if you take a look at the Top Questions about Connemara at the top right of this page you'll find a couple of links to threads including one about solo travel in the region...

Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
7,629 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Winter Travel to Connemara

Here's an article on a Winter Visit to Western Ireland - including parts of Co Clare, Co Mayo, Co Sligo and west Co Galway, where Connemara is situated. Courtesy of The Daily Telegraph (UK) from February, 2008:

http://tinyurl.com/2fv758w

Here is the Summary of Winter Weather in Ireland for 2009:

met.ie/climate/monthly_summarys/winter09.pdf

Check out the details for other previous winters here:

http://www.met.ie/climate/monthly-summary.asp

Look up length of daylight hours for West of Ireland. Also, black ice which can be a feature of winter weather there, especially on the many smaller rural roads which don't get exposed to a lot of direct sunlight in winter.

Ruth, California
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Winter Travel to Connemara

Thanks for your reply! It looks like others agree with your advice. I will keep it in mind for the months to come. If you have any other advice I would like it very much. Thanks again!

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
18,911 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Winter Travel to Connemara

Something which raised its head as a reminder in a recent post was the Winter timetable for Buses which at 23 I will assume be your main means of transport. This is another consideration to base in a larger town although the Sleepzone Hostels do have their own connecting buses.

6. Re: Winter Travel to Connemara

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, December 20, 2010