We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

single supplement

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
12 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
single supplement

How can I find B&Bs, etc that do not have single supplement?

Can I negotiate price now on a B&B if I stay several days if travelling in April?

Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
9,237 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: single supplement

springtime, I suppose the best way of finding a place that doesn't charge single supplement is by looking on the relevant website. Considering the current economic climate quite a few establishments have changed their policy (and single supplement has always been a pet hate of mine).

Haggle, do try. April is low season, they should be glad to have you.

Good luck and let us know whether you were successful!

Libertyville...
Level Contributor
2,072 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: single supplement

Springtime, I agree with Clauds - look through the B&B websites, and send the owners an e-mail, to negotiate price.

Also, you can find out if the B&B is open - some of them, out in the country, are not open until May 1. (Their websites don't always say this).

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
95,656 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: single supplement

Look at it this way: there are many hotels and motels that just have a flat room rate, so it is the same price for one person or for two. Even with the single supplement, one person pays less than two people for the use of a two-person room.

The cost for one person should be more than half the cost for two people, because much of the hotel's costs are the same for one or two guests: making up beds, clean linen and towels, cleaning the room, the capital cost of the room, and so on.

4. Re: single supplement

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, July 07, 2010