We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is the sea warm enough to swim in during August??

London, England
3 posts
Save Topic
Is the sea warm enough to swim in during August??

We are thinking about going to Connemara this August withour 14 yr old son and wondered if the sea would be warm enough to swim in? Also, any suggestions for somewhere reasonably quiet to stay near a beach??

Mentioned in this post
Connemara
Connemara
County Galway, Ireland
Ireland
Level Contributor
12,652 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is the sea warm enough to swim in during August??

Yes, plenty warm. Connemara is a big area, were you thinking of anywhere in particular?

I'd avoid the beach at Salthill and An Spidéal, both have had cleanliness problems down the years.

A really spectacular place to swim (but you'd need shoes!) is the Coral beach outside An Ceathrú Rua(Carraroe)

http://carraroe.galway-ireland.ie/

Mentioned in this post
Connemara
Connemara
County Galway, Ireland
Salthill Hotel
Salthill Hotel
2,929 Reviews
Galway, Ireland
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,589 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Is the sea warm enough to swim in during August??

There is a current thread about this on the Ireland Forum:

tripadvisor.ie/ShowTopic-g186591-i88-k283400…

Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
cleveland
Level Contributor
100 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Is the sea warm enough to swim in during August??

hi there

i lived in Malahide for 2 years and it seemed like there was never a wrong time to swim in the sea. Almost every day of the year i would see people swimming in the sea, even when the weather wasnt particularly warm.

Mentioned in this post
Malahide
Malahide
County Dublin, Ireland
ireland
Level Contributor
6,266 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is the sea warm enough to swim in during August??

harvey I don't know where you got your information regarding salthill and spiddeal - they have had blue flags for years.

Salthills and Silverstrand are located just outside Galway city centre. These have both been awarded a blue flag so you can be assured of clean safe waters no matter which one you visit.

Salthill has been one of Irelands top seaside resorts for over 30 years now! It always manages to retain its blue flag and you can be assured that its waters are really clean! Salthill is more than just a beach – surrounding it you’ll find areas to camp, caravans to rent and loads of amusements, shops and eateries!

Silverstrand is a safe, shallow, sandy beach bounded on one side by a cliff and on the other by rocks. It is particularly popular with and suitable for young families. Not only will all the family have fun here you’ll also receive spectacular views of Galway Bay.

It is suitable for swimming at low tide but the beach is largely covered during high tides. It is life-guarded during the summer months and it has a promenade with parking capacity for about 60 vehicles. <

Mentioned in this post
Galway
Galway
County Galway, Ireland
Salthill Hotel
Salthill Hotel
2,929 Reviews
Galway, Ireland
Galway Bay
Galway Bay
657 Reviews
Galway, Ireland
Ireland
Level Contributor
12,652 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is the sea warm enough to swim in during August??

Info re An Spidéal and Salthill from friends in An Spidéal, if she says she thinks they are best avoided(a science teacher) I follow her !!

Mentioned in this post
Salthill Hotel
Salthill Hotel
2,929 Reviews
Galway, Ireland
nj
Level Contributor
195 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is the sea warm enough to swim in during August??

I think it's all relative myself.

I think the water up in Cape Cod is too cold any time of year, and here in NJ, only warm enough for me come August!

The Atlantic is only warm to me anywhere south of Virginia Beach.

Perhaps near Galway it will be tolerable, like the other poster said, because the west coast of Ireland gets a bit of the gulf stream.

Don't forget sunblock whatever you do!

Mentioned in this post
Galway
Galway
County Galway, Ireland
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
ireland
Level Contributor
6,266 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is the sea warm enough to swim in during August??

does she also tell you not to drink the water in the taps. LOL

tell her to get her head out of her books and go for a swim. She'll enjoy it - ask her if she saw the queues to the beaches in salthill during the hot weather, also silver strand and spiddeal - they had to close the roads off because there were so many people going to swim in the beaches.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for County Galway
Level Contributor
2,145 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is the sea warm enough to swim in during August??

The Atlantic's never warm like the Med but it's fine to swim (without wetsuits) most of the year and especially in July/August/September...

Stay in the fishing harbour village of Roundstone and you can walk out to two of the best beaches in Ireland within 20 minutes - Gurteen and Dog's Bay - keep walking to the end of either beach and go up, out and over the headland (the beaches jut out from the mainland back-to-back and have a lump of land at the end) to discover several 'secret' beaches where you'll more than likely be in a secluded cove with a private beach of your own :-)

http://www.roundstone.ie/index.php

roundstone.ie/activities/roundstone-beaches.…

K+P

Mentioned in this post
Roundstone
Roundstone
County Galway, Ireland
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Dog's Bay Beach
Dog's Bay Beach
168 Reviews
Roundstone, Ireland
9. Re: Is the sea warm enough to swim in during August??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:35 am, December 16, 2009