We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arrival Time at Airport for Flight to Edinburgh?

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
218 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Arrival Time at Airport for Flight to Edinburgh?

I've read many, many people state arriving at the Dublin airport 3 hours before flying out to the US is necessary. Does this also apply to flying from Dublin to Edinburgh? We are 2 Americans with a flight on RyanAir from Dublin to Edinburgh on a Sunday---flight leaves Dublin at 12:35. Do we need to be at the airport 3 hours before the flight leaves? All replies are very much appreciated.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
4,353 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Arrival Time at Airport for Flight to Edinburgh?

No. Edinburgh is not in the USA, so USA pre clearance is not required.

But you do need to allow time to visit the Ryanair desk and as non EU passport holders have your boarding pass which you will have printed out beforehand (an expensive mistake if you don't) and a 10 min walk to the gate after security.

Edited: 5:09 pm, September 18, 2016
Arroyo de la Miel...
Level Contributor
3,964 posts
230 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Arrival Time at Airport for Flight to Edinburgh?

Give yourselves two hours, it can a long walk to the gate to board the plane plus you may want to have a beverage or wander round the shops. The last few FR flights I've been on from Dublin the gates have been the furthest away! Excuse the pun but the time will "fly by"

If you have a smartphone you can add your boarding pass to it saving the paperwork, just show this at the check in desk (if you have luggage going in the hold), then you'll show it again at passport control and finally as you board the plane.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Dublin
Level Contributor
10,443 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Arrival Time at Airport for Flight to Edinburgh?

Aim to be the 2 hours before departure. If you have baggage be mindful of allowances and sizes allowed.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
4,353 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Arrival Time at Airport for Flight to Edinburgh?

"If you have a smartphone you can add your boarding pass to it saving the paperwork, just show this at the check in desk"

Best to ignore that suggestion:

"Mobile boarding passes are available to EU/EEA Nationals.

Eligible customers must hold a valid passport or national identity card issued by the government of a European Economic Area (EEA) country and must be departing from an airport that will accept a mobile boarding pass."

Edited: 6:26 pm, September 18, 2016
Arroyo de la Miel...
Level Contributor
3,964 posts
230 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Arrival Time at Airport for Flight to Edinburgh?

I have friend's from Canada that fly over to the UK from Dublin (sometimes Cork) and they've not had any airport/airline staff question their smartphone boarding passes (yet). They are due over before Christmas for a visit so will check with them again as to how they get on next time. They used to laugh at me having the paper boarding passes! It's nice to know Drumlough, thank you!

Perhaps better to be safe than sorry and print the passes off too.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
71,268 posts
470 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Arrival Time at Airport for Flight to Edinburgh?

I would also suggest 2 hours.

I think it;s very sensible to be safe rather than sorry, and that applies to the boarding passes too. Others may not have needed them, but who knows what will happen to any individual on the day?

7. Re: Arrival Time at Airport for Flight to Edinburgh?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, September 21, 2017