We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which is the right adapter plug?

sf
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Which is the right adapter plug?

I'm sorry for one more posting about this. I went to the hardware store and there were two adapters -- one labels "for Europe" and the other "for Great Britain (certain areas)"

I got them both. Which adapter is used in Ireland? They look very similar -- two round spikes, although slightly different diameters.

I went to the company website for clarification. Nope.

So, which one do I need? The company website said that Ireland uses 3 different plugs. Is that possible?

Do I need to buy the whole adapter kit?

How does everyone else know what adapter to buy?

thanks!

Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
8,676 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which is the right adapter plug?

"round spikes"? I haven't seen plugs in Ireland that needed round pins in at least 15 years...

For Ireland and Britain you need plugs with three flat pins.

In the rest of Europe you need plugs with two round pins.

Sorry, don't mean to confuse you...

Humptulips...
Level Contributor
3,287 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which is the right adapter plug?

This probably won't work, but it should look like this, one on the top and two on the bottom.

I

_ _

Humptulips...
Level Contributor
3,287 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which is the right adapter plug?

Oh well. :-)

Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
8,676 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which is the right adapter plug?

Haha, Boru, don't give up the day job!

Humptulips...
Level Contributor
3,287 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which is the right adapter plug?

Um, speaking of giving something up..oh never mind.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,258 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which is the right adapter plug?

If you plan on bringing a hair dryer you'll need to make sure that it either has the switch built in (to convert from our N. American current to that of Ireland) or that you bring a converter thing-ey that you plug your hairdryer into. If someone is more electronically-inclined, perhaps you could jump in? : )

I brought my big huge hair dryer and blew the fuse in the wall on the first night...I had TERRIBLE hair for the rest of the trip. Some of my photos make me weep a little! ha ha

Next time I'll buy one that has the capabilities to travel!

Humptulips...
Level Contributor
3,287 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which is the right adapter plug?

Hi. This might explain it. Cheers. tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g186591-i88-k65991…

Humptulips...
Level Contributor
3,287 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which is the right adapter plug?

Sorry. I just wanted to test something. tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g186591-i88-k65991…

Humptulips...
Level Contributor
3,287 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which is the right adapter plug?

Oh, that did work. I tried the usual cut and paste once before. Oh well. Cheers.

Humptulips...
Level Contributor
3,287 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which is the right adapter plug?

Now if someone who plans on being in Ireland for awhile could do this forum a favor... Go to NYC forums. Take a look at the sticky at the top. It's a good idea. Someone else, wink, wink, would then ask TA to make such a thread a sticky for TA Ireland. I started on one here. It won't take long. You could save it in Microsoft Word and go at your own pace. I stopped doing it because I realized because of needing to save money for something, I might not get back to Ireland next year. You could have fun with little comments too. Try to group them, eg solo travelers, one week trips, two week trips, tours, etc. Cheers.