We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

if you only had a day

Which Dublin hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Over Yonder, tx
6 posts
Save Topic
if you only had a day

if you only had a day in dublin what would you do and what would you eat?

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
51,905 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: if you only had a day

I would take a "hop on hop off" bus tour and ride through town getting an overview of things.

I would research a guidebook or on the internet and decide on one or two things that might interest me and make time to see them after the bus tour.

For food ,I would probably just play it by ear if I only had a day, there's no shortage of places to grab a bite...

Leinster
Level Contributor
69 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: if you only had a day

I love wandering around the museums and art gallery. They are free, can be visited when it is lashing rain and are mostly within walking distance of each other (Kildare St and Merrion St).

I could eat almost anything in Dublin. There are restaurants that cater for every palate. There is some great 'pub grub'. You can get 'Irish' food - Bacon and Cabbage, Dublin Coddle, Irish stew.... Just have a wander around, check the menus at the door.

The bus tour is good too.

Ireland
Level Contributor
1,930 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: if you only had a day

I would do the Splash tour, get a feel for Dublin today as well as a little history, not as serious as the bus tours.

The Guinness storehouse is also a must, if only for the panoramic view of the city.

Food, lunch in Avoca on Wickow street. Dinner depends on your location at the end of the day...I like the food in the Turks Head on Parliament St for a good mix of Irish and others.

California, USA
Level Contributor
225 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: if you only had a day

And if I "only had a day" I wouldn't miss drinking a Guinness in its homeland, strolling through St. Stephen's Green; visiting Trinity College and seeing The Book of Kells. I would haunt the museums and galleries of my choice, pay a visit to Kilmainham Gaol, and definitely find a pub (or two) to take in some traditional music and craic. You cannot 'not' buy a round, settle in a bit, and experience the warmth of the Irish people. Texas hospitality is nice... Irish hospitality will leave you wanting much more than a day.

With regard to eating... Dublin is your oyster. They have it all.

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
12,740 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: if you only had a day

if i only had one day i would just shoot myself in the foot and hopefully that pain would over ride the pain of only having one day in ireland....hehehe....

there really isn't much choice for a day...as others have said, take the hop on/off bus, ride it through to the end then decide what things you would like to get off and see.....

if you have a night to go with your day, the ghost bus ride is a fun way to end.......

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,258 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: if you only had a day

One day? The thought sickens me! : )

It's dreadful that you've got so little time (tragic, really!) but I agree with the hop-on/hop-off bus tour suggestion. Do the loop once and then get off/on where you so choose after that. Where you get off will be determined by your interests and current weather conditions.

For food, eat whatever you choose as you go. I'd highly recommend grabbing a Bewley's cappuccino on Grafton Street and, if possible, head over to Dublin's most famous chipper 'Leo Burdock'.

More importantly, your questions should be what can you do to extend your 1 day stay into something longer? hee hee

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: if you only had a day

Gallaghers Boxty House in TempleBar for Food. Its good!

Drink a Murphys in Keoghs off Grafton Street.

Drink another Murphy's in The Temple Bar Inn.

Drink another Murphy's in O'Neils.

Check out the ladies in Ron Blacks and Cafe en Seine.

View the Book of Kells in Trinity college.

Coffee/Cake in Avoca on Nassau Street.

Bushmills Whiskey (Water of Life) museum tour. Get to the front for the free whiskey.

Irish Coffee in The Bailey.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: if you only had a day

Agree with some of the other posts.

Would do / have

a quiet pint in The Stags Head, off Dame Lane (head to the little snug in the back).

National Gallery, Merrion Square.

a younger louder and still friendly pint in the Globe, Wicklow Street.

a bite to eat in the new restaurant SaBa (Thai) reasonable price, funky, good service, Clarendon Street -or- some candlelit tapas in the Port House (South William Street, near Bewleys cafe on Wicklow Street) - fab for a pit stop on a dreary rainy Dublin day.

some al fresco wine and cheese over the Millenium Bridge (and get chatting to strangers) over the Liffey (just watch your handbag / wallet)

Dart trip out to Dalkey or Howth.

Dublin Castle - well worth a tour.

Whelans on Camden Street on a Sunday afternoon for a(nother) pint and a gig in the back.

Hope you enjoy...

Mineola, Texas
Level Contributor
793 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: if you only had a day

Only a day? Well, the Book of Kells and the Long Room above at Trinity College (go early to avoid lines), a stroll through St Stephens Green, and wander through the National Portrait Gallery--and the Museum of Decorative Arts (can't remember if that's the exact name, but I don't want to ruffle through my notes just now)...and a meander through Clery's Dept Store. Oh, and a walk through the Adam and Eve Church (I think that's the name...once again, not ruffling through my notes)...it's free and it's a beautiful church.

As for food--pubs, cafes, and restaurants abound...just pick one as you wander!

Cobh,
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: if you only had a day

Forget about Dublin. Come to Cork , the real capital and the rebel county. Cork has more all Ireland hurling championships than any other county and as many as most counties combined. Cork and Kerry have the most magnificient scenery mountains lakes and coastline. It will take your breadth away. We dont like boasting too much - that accounts for our humility. If you do spend a day in Dublin then any or all the suggestions are very good, Have a great time Slainte