We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dublin in rain...

Which Dublin hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
California
Level Contributor
1,148 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Dublin in rain...

Hi Folks,

Planning a trip to the UK during my son's spring break. We'll be taking a few side trips with Dublin in mind for a few days, and I'm expecting it to be wet.

Don't mind the rain... we can still see the museums etc., just wondering how risky it would be to book a tour of the Wicklow mountains? If we were having a downpour would the tour still go on? Do they cancel, or do we lose our money? I don't mind gloomy weather, but can you see anything in it?

Thanks!

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
51,548 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dublin in rain...

If they cancel a tour in Ireland every time it rained they'd be out of business in no time!

I have some wonderful pictures of Glendalough that I took years ago on a rainy afternoon...

Enjoy your trip to Ireland, but bring something to keep the rain off your head!

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Kilkenny
Level Contributor
3,604 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dublin in rain...

Believe it or not, but being from California you might not understand this, the rain on a boggy mountainside can actually, in a strange way, enhance the experience. Go there and see.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
350 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dublin in rain...

Hi

There's no way your trip will be called off due to rain.

On the worst of April days you might not get the very best views but most rain in Ireland occurs in showers and you are likely even on a rainy day to get breaks from the rain. The optimist in me is inclined to tell you that it might very well be sunny and sixty!! (When is 'Spring Break'?)

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
12,441 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dublin in rain...

podo, take a deep breath and relax...if things in ireland cancelled every time it rained nothing would every get done, seen, or enjoyed.....they wouldn't even be able to bury their dearly departed.....

it doesn't come a monsoon, it rains.....and sometimes, it doesn't...just like in the good old u.s.a.....

California
Level Contributor
1,148 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Dublin in rain...

Thanks for the replies...

Son's spring break is the week of April 9th right after Easter.

Funny... I grew up in California and used to get depressed when it was overcast, and put on a parka if the tempature dipped below 65 degrees! (don't know what the celcius thing would be)

However, I fell for an Englishman and took a few trips over, and really got a taste for the cooler weather! We're both living in California, but now if it gets over 70 degrees, or the sun shines too brightly I get cranky. Wierd huh? We may end up in England or Seatle! :-)

Well, I guess if you don't have a normal pattern of torrential rain in April... sometimes out here in California it rains so hard it's just down right dangerous to drive anywhre! Especially gotta look out for the mudslides in area where we've had wildfires a few months before! Yipes!

Anyway, really looking forward to visiting Dublin rain or shine!

Cheers!

Humptulips...
Level Contributor
3,287 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dublin in rain...

Hi. There's definitely something to what irishrover said. In certain places a soft rain brings a quieter and more peaceful feeling. Sometimes a hard rain can bring on smiles at the ridiculousness of it all. Enjoy your trip, no matter what. Cheers.

7. Re: Dublin in rain...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 pm, August 27, 2009