We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Worst Car Rental Company Ever - Sixt Dublin

Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Worst Car Rental Company Ever - Sixt Dublin

Sadly I was unable to find anywhere to review Sixt Dublin Airport to save other travelers the hassle and disaster I went through...As popular and great of a trip as roadtripping around the country is- I'm hoping this review can save other people from my nightmare- yes, its THAT BAD.

No matter how much money you might be saving on the initial rental cost, save yourself the time and heartache in the long run. Absolutely worst experience with ANY COMPANY I've ever had in my life.

Was rented out a previously damaged vehicle and I am still paying out the @$$ for their problems. Damage was noted on initial checkout so we carelessly thought the company would keep with their word- and happily went along with our vacation.

Had our vehicle break down in the middle of our trip, and was stranded because even though Sixt Dublin is 24 hours- their phone line isn't. Voicemail for days. Too long of a story to even begin to put into this review.. just know that they have the nerve to scam a $200 car rental into a $900, and could care less about their customers. Photos, Invoices, Paperwork, even Mechanics Statements and the company could care less. Biggest Scam out there- tons of horrible reviews on the internet if you search.

STAY AWAY AT ALL COSTS!!!!!!!

I've been arguing with the company for months now, and I still cant get a single person to help me.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
20,113 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Worst Car Rental Company Ever - Sixt Dublin

Sixt are members of the Car Rental council. who are supposed to regulate their members and handle complaints their members are not addressing,

email INFO@CARRENTALCOUNCIL.IE

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
25,550 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Worst Car Rental Company Ever - Sixt Dublin

perhaps you coud tell us what actually happened? did you dispute the matter through your cc company?

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
14,002 posts
386 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Worst Car Rental Company Ever - Sixt Dublin

"Worst Car Rental Company Ever - Sixt Dublin "

I couldn't disagree with that statement.

Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Worst Car Rental Company Ever - Sixt Dublin

Really?? That would be amazing.. maybe one more chance at getting help!

Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Worst Car Rental Company Ever - Sixt Dublin

I rented a car with pre-existing damage, they noted it at checkout on the paperwork... I then got stranded due to the car breaking down because of the damage (the front wheel had been bent in a previous accident and put on improperly)..

Long story short- I Ended up having to pay for a tow truck, new tire, and damages... all due to something that was pre-existing. Every mechanic I dealt with agrees- even the Sixt paperwork agrees..the company is just a scam and doesn't want to deal with it. They keep hoping that the issue will just magically disappear.

Insane. Wish someone in the company actually cared..

Been disputing the latest of the three charges with my Credit Card- Sadly missed the deadline on the first two due to being on Tour for work. They just keep popping on charges..on a rental that should have been free at this point.. Unsafe, Ruined my vacation, AND now I'm paying their damages...cant say it enough, insane.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
25,550 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Worst Car Rental Company Ever - Sixt Dublin

how can a wheel be put on incorrectly? and if the wheel was already bent, how could you drive away from the depot without noticing it? and how would a bent wheel cause a car breakdown? some things do not quite add up. of course, most companies actually do exclude tyre damage unless you take added insurance to cover this ( and glass).

you may have been unlucky and got a car where the previous driver had kerbed the wheel and caused structural damage. we do see posters here, complaining about being billed for kerbed wheels too, not accepting that the following driver could have a failure. if there was visible damage to the wheel when you collected the car, and sixt acknowledged it, maybe you should not have taken the car and asked for another?

i believe that sixt have an emergency number that covers breakdowns.

Beaufort, Ireland
Level Contributor
3,992 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Worst Car Rental Company Ever - Sixt Dublin

I had a wheel come off a trailer once where the garage only hand tightened the nuts

Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Worst Car Rental Company Ever - Sixt Dublin

Oh, believe me- I learned a lot from this debacle..

The metal rim was bent ten times over in lots of different angles and points outward toward the tire.. one bump and the metal rim punctured. The previous renter had gotten into an accident, and "replaced" the tire. Somehow they managed to angle the bolts in the tire, and completely strip them sideways..(honestly, impressive amount of stupidity and determination by someone). The tire was unable to be replaced due to the angle and bolts- everything had to be cut off with a mechanic. The phrasing "breakdown" I guess isn't the most fitting..

As for the emergency number...Yeah..Doesn't exist. It says it is...you call..you get voicemail. No one calls back. Honestly, that's the part that bothered me the most.. never felt so let down/stranded by a companies false pretenses.

And yes, I learned my lesson...even if the employee marks down the damage and promises that everything will be ok...don't trust them. Switch cars. No matter how sick of waiting you are, how jetlagged, how tired... Don't be a stupid happy tourist and believe that a company will hold through with their paperwork.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
25,550 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Worst Car Rental Company Ever - Sixt Dublin

are you honestly saying that you accepted a car that had a rim bent "10 times over"? and that you and the sixt employee noted it and did nothing?

i find your incident extremly hard to believe, ...sorry!

Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Worst Car Rental Company Ever - Sixt Dublin

Yes. Because we were idiots, thinking if we took a photo- and they wrote it on the damage report. All would be hunky dory.

That's what a 15 hour travel day will do to you. Learned my lesson.

Anyways... I appreciate the additional email information Tony2Phones- after emailing them, I was able to get a response within a day- unlike the month previously spent waiting. Thank you.