We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best "fish & chips" in Dublin?

Level Contributor
175 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Best "fish & chips" in Dublin?

Can you please tell me where I might find THE best fish & chips in Dublin?

Thanks!

MBH

Mentioned in this post
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
Tang Cafe
$, Cafe, European, Healthy
Urbanity
$$ - $$$, Irish, European, Healthy
Bloom Brasserie
$$ - $$$, Irish, European, Wine Bar
Ireland
Destination Expert
for Kilkenny
Level Contributor
3,618 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best "fish & chips" in Dublin?

I've always believed that the best fish and chips in Dublin was at Leo Burdock's, Werburgh Street, just round the corner from Jury's Christchurch. (It's why they built Jury's there!). I always try and go there when I'm in Dublin. But maybe real Dubs might know of better.

Mentioned in this post
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
Leo Burdock's
Leo Burdock's
1,140 Reviews
Dublin, Ireland
Christchurch
Christchurch
Dorset, UK
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,266 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best "fish & chips" in Dublin?

irishrover, i've heard the same and hope to check it out myself while i'm there in a couple of weeks time!

Tulsa
Level Contributor
27 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best "fish & chips" in Dublin?

Be aware the Leo's does not have any seating. I took my fish and chips and walked down to St. Patricks church. They have a spacious fenced in area that provided a very nice place to sit and eat and people watch.

The food was good, but it was also the only fish and chips I had in Dublin, so I have nothing to compare it to.

Mentioned in this post
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
wichita,ks
Destination Expert
for Wichita
Level Contributor
1,850 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best "fish & chips" in Dublin?

If you order chips with the fish you will get enough(chips) to feed at least two people. A Dubliner told me as we were standing in line that if you order the chips with the fish "you will get quite a load" and he wasn't kidding. If you order just the fish you get a few chips with it but not a full serving.

Level Contributor
175 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best "fish & chips" in Dublin?

I think a friend of mine mentioned "Fitzer's" (Temple Bar) as a good restaurant to order Fish & Chips.

Has anyone ordered them here?

Thanks!

MBH

Dublin
Level Contributor
101 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best "fish & chips" in Dublin?

There's not much difference really now days. The local suburban ones are probably best, they have to be or the regulars won't go back. Beshoff's in the city has a fancy name and fancy prices, native Dubliners don't really use it, mostly tourists. For a big portions Burdock's if one of the oldest family ones in use. There's always a queue so they'res till getting it right I suppose. It's opposite Christ Church.

Level Contributor
175 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best "fish & chips" in Dublin?

I actually prefer the "stands"....fish & chips in a newspaper funnel!

Those are the best.

I am looking forward to conducting a "taste contest!" ha ha

Thanks again!

MBH

Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
9,377 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best "fish & chips" in Dublin?

Sorry, newspaper as a wrap for fish and chips was abolished by the EU! It's unhygienic (yet generations of people thrived on it)... I remember getting fish and chips in London years ago and when we unwrapped the food the newsprint was all over the fish and chips, brrrr.....

I would not recommend Beshoff's.

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Level Contributor
175 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best "fish & chips" in Dublin?

Thanks for the info~~~although we probably eat worse than newspaper print when dining out.......

I'll trek to Burdock's!

Thanks again!

MBH

West Texas

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,266 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best "fish & chips" in Dublin?

This might be a strange question but I'll ask anyway!

If I were to go to Burdocks and order myself some fish 'n chips would the fish have the bones and scales/skin still in/on it?

Last year, while in London, we ordered fish 'n chips and it came complete with bones and scales/skin. I remember being told by someone (possibly on the London forum?) that this is left so people know for a fact that they're getting real fish. Not sure if this is true or not.

I'm what I call a meat eating vegetarian and don't like to eat any animal parts that are obviously from an animal...chicken wings, steak with bones, fish with skin...(strange, I know!) Anyway, if it will come with the scales and all the rest of the gorry stuff I'll stick with the chips and leave the fish for the boyfriend! : )

ps. Is it served with tartar sauce? mmm...sauce....

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK