We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental in Ireland

Wicklow, Ireland
Level Contributor
721 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Car rental in Ireland

Having worked in car rental, but not behind the desks, I would advise people to 1) Check the size of the car you're renting ( 4 BIG people plus 4 BIG suitcases ARE NOT going to fit in a Nissan Micra) and 2) use the car rental co's own site for everything because it seems other sites promise you the sun,moon,and stars, but when you reach the rental desk in the airport it turns out that things you thought were included are not and so begins the lengthy process of deciding if you want what the desk agent is trying to sell you. I could be wrong, but if you have your booking reference off the company's own site then you're thru the process in no time.

Another thing about driving on the 'wrong'/left side of the road - EVERY time you return to your rental car to drive off, WAIT for another car to go by first in the direction you want to go, then follow that car just so you don't come to a bend in the road on the wrong side of the road - crashes can ruin your holiday (if you're 'lucky') or your life !! (and NO, the pedals on right-hand-drive cars are NOT the other way round - I was asked that question more than a few times !) , and don't forget to thoroughly check your rental for any scratches BEFORE leaving the rental depot - it could cost you when you return it !

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
27,019 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Car rental in Ireland

Mary, if you had posted once, you would have got some great advice.

Instead you have decided to clog up the forum.

You do not speak for the "community" - you only speak for yourself. And if you've read all of my 18,000 or so posts, fair dues to you. Thank you.

Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
10,937 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Car rental in Ireland

10 posts all about one thing?

Ignore her, Bean, she will be gone tomorrow, hopefully.

Wicklow, Ireland
Level Contributor
721 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Car rental in Ireland

NiceIrlande , it would appear that there are sharp practices on all sides. Renters should possibly use the official Hertz / Avis / Europcar ...... sites to avoid 'extra' charges that the companies seem to impose if you use 'outside' booking sites. And of course rental cars can come back with underbody damage /different tyres/ .... as well so it pays for everyone (renters/companies) just to be awake and aware ??

Ireland
Level Contributor
3,271 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Car rental in Ireland

I am just recounting my experience, I have no doubt there are dishonest customers also.

NY, NY
Level Contributor
378 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Car rental in Ireland

Another point: the makes and models described on the U.S. websites (and confirmed through the booking) are not necessarily the ones available in the country. We learned this the hard way when booking a minivan and being given, instead of the Caravan or Sienna shown on the website, a model of car that was not large enough to accommodate all of our luggage. They did not have the models shown on the website and their understanding of a minivan was radically different than mine.

To the OP's timely reminder I would suggest as well that you should not pay in advance. While waiting in line to rent our car at AVIS last summer, I saw many upset customers and heard the salespeople say many times "but you won't get your deposit back."

Travellers from the US should know that many of the familiar-sounding car companies in Ireland are not part of the international corporate group, but are rather local franchises. So you can come home and call customer service in the US and complain and they will do their best to investigate a complaint, but they will tell you a lot of this is beyond their control.

Car rental problems can absolutely ruin the first few days of a vacation. Even if the problem is ultimately resolved, the lingering frustration is a major distraction. Although the destination experts and locals who comment on the forums provide valuable advice, I do not know how frequently they rent cars within Ireland or if they would actually receive the same treatment as obvious tourists. My family travels frequently and we always rent cars. Our experience in Ireland was one of the worst we have had and the only reason it wasn't a complete disaster was that I hadn't paid, so in the end we were able to walk to a different car company lot and get the car we needed.

Wicklow, Ireland
Level Contributor
721 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Car rental in Ireland

Any time I've rented overseas I've gone to the local website and use that to rent from - I've never had any problems renting from Finland to NewZealand but a LOT of people don't know their car sizes, and especially US travellers who bring LARGE suitcases. If people are unsure of capacities they should look up 'boot (trunk) space / luggage capacity ' on websites like Parkers parkers.co.uk/cars/reviews/facts-and-figures/ so they don't have size problems at the rental terminal upon arrival .

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,791 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Car rental in Ireland

good advice hoch....folks misread sometimes and then they are angry with the rental company.....example: xyz or "similar"....they read ford focus, or whatever, and don't see the or "similar"....the website shows how many passengers, how many bags....here maybe they think that can't possibly be correct, surely they can get more luggage than that in the boot (trunk)....

Orlando, Florida...
Level Contributor
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Car rental in Ireland

It sounds like most people have had issues with renting cars in Ireland. I will be traveling there in May. It looks like I need to be ready to pay the insurance or put up a lot of money for a deposit. Is this correct? I haven't seen any companies explain how much the deposit is for the car.

Has anyone used rentalcars.com? The prices seem lower, but they don't really explain about the insurance or deposit. Also, they state third party liability is offered, what do they mean by this?

If anyone has had a decent experience with any companies, I would love to hear about that. Thanks!

UK
Level Contributor
6,391 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Car rental in Ireland

To be fair I don't think "most" people have had problems, it's important to keep it in perspective, someone is much more likely to post if they experience "problems" than if they don't.

I just took a look at the t&cs for the company you mentioned, and maybe I am missing it/ looking at different ones to you, but at the start it states "third party liability" is included.

What is NOT included is the excess payable against the included CDW, and it seems reasonably clear on what that excess will be, the options to reduce the excess (buy additional insurance / pay a deposit equivalent to the excess).

If you don't opt for the car hire company's insurance, perhaps because you have cover through your card (check with your card issuer) or you decide to take the risk and pay up to the full amount of the excess if anything goes wrong, then the car hire company will pre- authorise your card for the maximum amount of the excess. Basically that means the equivalent amount of spending power on the card is locked down for the duration of the rental and the subsequent refund period.

This can cause issues if you have insufficient credit, you were relying on using that credit, or your card company declines to authorise the transaction. As well as the obvious reason of there being insufficient credit on the account the card company's fraud prevention system may kick in if the transaction is unusually large, or sometimes if you have not told them you are travelling overseas, or both. So best to speak to them before you travel.

As with anything if the t&cs are unclear or you have questions contact the company direct.

For what it's worth I have hired cars many times over the years in the UK, Ireland, and other parts of Europe, and I have never had any problem with the hire companies.

One tip for Ireland, make sure you understand how road toll charges will work for the hire.

Edited: 2:18 am, September 02, 2014
Wicklow, Ireland
Level Contributor
721 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Car rental in Ireland

'......One tip for Ireland, make sure you understand how road toll charges will work for the hire....'

The company I worked for did have a 'service charge' for paying the toll but if you paid yourself then everything was ok - unlike Florida - …businessweek.com/articles/2014-08-29/when-d…