We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental in Ireland

Wicklow, Ireland
Level Contributor
721 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Car rental in Ireland

Having worked in car rental, but not behind the desks, I would advise people to 1) Check the size of the car you're renting ( 4 BIG people plus 4 BIG suitcases ARE NOT going to fit in a Nissan Micra) and 2) use the car rental co's own site for everything because it seems other sites promise you the sun,moon,and stars, but when you reach the rental desk in the airport it turns out that things you thought were included are not and so begins the lengthy process of deciding if you want what the desk agent is trying to sell you. I could be wrong, but if you have your booking reference off the company's own site then you're thru the process in no time.

Another thing about driving on the 'wrong'/left side of the road - EVERY time you return to your rental car to drive off, WAIT for another car to go by first in the direction you want to go, then follow that car just so you don't come to a bend in the road on the wrong side of the road - crashes can ruin your holiday (if you're 'lucky') or your life !! (and NO, the pedals on right-hand-drive cars are NOT the other way round - I was asked that question more than a few times !) , and don't forget to thoroughly check your rental for any scratches BEFORE leaving the rental depot - it could cost you when you return it !

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Charlottesville, Virginia, County Donegal
Level Contributor
19,106 posts
285 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car rental in Ireland

Greetings! Questions & Problems, regarding vehicle rental in Ireland, is a frequent subject matter on TA. Thank you for posting your info.

Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Level Contributor
1 post
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car rental in Ireland

Hertz in Dublin Airport : dishonest pratices

I am chocked of what happened at Hertz Dublin Airport :

I made a reservation with Hertz, via Ryanair in April, for a 4 days car rental.

In July, when I arrived at the Hertz booth, 5mn away for Dublin Airport by Shuttle, the hertz agent immediateley tells me (not asked me if I wanted it) that I have to take an extra insurance to cover the franchise for the car. I declined, explaining that I already have an insurance covering the franchise that might be due to hertz in case of accident.

The lady takes my Visa Credit Cards to charge the 3000 € garantee, and tells me right away that the card is not accepted. I'm a bit surprised, the card had not been used for more than a month, and has a 5000 € limit... I give her another card, a Master Card Platinium, with a greater limit. The girl tells me its not accepted either. I ask her to try again, but she says that the cards are rejected, and as she told me earlier, I had to pay the extra insurance...

I explain that it is not seems possible that those 2 cards cannot pay 3000 €, and that maybe her machine does not work properly. She tells me that the machine works fine, and that I have to pay an extra cost to get my car or she cannot give it to me.

I explain that I have been renting cars in various companies and in various countries since 25 years, and I never had to pay such an insurance, because I have a separate insurance, and that I'm not prepared to pay an unagreeed charge,

She says that I cannot get my car if I don't pay ...

Finally I surrender, it's late, I don't want to waste an hour to get a car from another rental company. I'm just extremely upset.

I receive the car and,... the tank is NOT full ...

A few kilometres away I stop the car in a gaz station. I add 7 liters...

It's just chocking, that such a story happens in Ireland, with a major Car Rental Company like Hertz.

I finally paid an extra 53 € plus an extra fuel charge of +- 11 € !

It is just dishonest, and unacceptable.

Reading other comments on Trip Advisor about Hertz Dublin Airport, it seems that I am not the first one who is experiencing this story. You should avoid renting at Hertz Dublin Airport, and I hope this will make Hertz react and take the necessary action for this type of rip off to totally disapear from any Hertz desk in the world.

Mentioned in this post
Dublin Airport
Dublin Airport
Dublin, Ireland
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
24,564 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car rental in Ireland

it was not hertz problem if your cards were rejected. it is the fault of your cc company. maybe you did not have it cleared for use in ireland? all hertz (or any other company) do , is to put your card into a machine which contacts your cc company. if your cc company refused to accept it, blame them!

re fuel. there are many clients who fill up away from the depot, and then do not brim the tank, or use up some fuel for the last number of miles. the fuel needle could still show full, leading the inspecor to believe that the tank was brimmed. again, i cannot see how hertz can be blamed for someone else pulling a fast one.

Ireland
Level Contributor
3,271 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Car rental in Ireland

Dear OP you are wasting your time posting car rental issues on these forums. The prevailing attitude is that the rental companies act in an honourable manner all the time and never engage in any sharp practice. In my opinion if I am renting a car to someone, it is my responsibility to check that the car is full to the brim. Customers pull fast ones, not car rental companies, once you get that you will know you are wasting your time here.

5. Re: Car rental in Ireland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 7:05 am, July 24, 2014
Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
14,073 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car rental in Ireland

Mary, are you finished now?

Once would have done.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Charlottesville, Virginia, County Donegal
Level Contributor
19,106 posts
285 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car rental in Ireland

fuchsia, Well put. Thank you, Keshgrammy

8. Re: Car rental in Ireland

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline with regards to harassment of another user. We will remove messages that include personal attacks or hostility directed at an individual user or group of users, threatening language or attempts to force a user to discontinue participation on our forums.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:09 pm, July 24, 2014
Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick
Level Contributor
28,225 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car rental in Ireland

Mary, I have reported your posts as spam.

I would encourage others to do the same.

10. Re: Car rental in Ireland

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10:35 am, July 24, 2014