We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Speed limit enforcement

Which Dublin hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Boston...
Level Contributor
1,154 posts
93 reviews
Save Topic
Speed limit enforcement

Coming from the northeastern US, I am used to the idea that I will not face a speeding ticket on a superhighway (motorway) if I am going just 10 mph (16kmph) over the posted speed limit. Most drivers here drive faster than the speed limit, and you almost make yourself an obstacle if you drive at the speed limit. How does this work in Ireland? In general, I would watch what other drivers are doing and not go faster than most of them, but what if I have the road to myself? (Does that ever happen?) How strictly are speed limits enforced in Ireland? Thanks.

Dublin Ireland
Level Contributor
2,142 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Speed limit enforcement

There are hidden cameras a lot of places and it's pretty easy to get caught.

You will see people going above the limit but there's no nod to exceeding the limit. If you get caught you get done.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
9,500 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Speed limit enforcement

In the US, we tend to drive no more than 7 MPH over the speed limit.

In Ireland, on the big M roads, we went with the flow of traffic.

On small roads, we weren't tempted to go as fast as the speed limit. On the very rare occasion that there were cars behind us, we pulled over to let them pass.

Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
9,320 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Speed limit enforcement

Speed limits are just that, the top speed at which it is safe to drive, on long stretches of motorway when it is quiet it is easy to slip above it so keep an eye on your speedo.

On country roads you should not be driving anywhere near the set limits, think 'sheep round the bend'.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
25,638 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Speed limit enforcement

Mark, if you are found to be exceeding the limit and are involved in an accident, then your insurance could well be invalidated.

One of many good reasons to stick to the limit, even if others aren't.

This is a nice informative page for tourists driving in Ireland:

rsa.ie/en/…

Ireland
Level Contributor
3,271 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Speed limit enforcement

Heed the advice here. What is the point of speeding on holidays? Holidays are about relaxing and getting from A to B in a safe manner. Slow down, take the time to soak up our lovely countryside. If you feel you are holding someone behind you just let them pass you at the next available spot. I had a speeding ticket last year, rushing to visit someone in hospital...it was no excuse, I should have left my house earlier. Don't risk it is my advice.

Tralee, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Tralee
Level Contributor
3,762 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Speed limit enforcement

Speed detecting vans are common on the roadside. The frequency of their appearence has increased in the past few years. I have managed to pick up four penalty points in the past two years, four more than the previous thirty years! Like Nice, no excuses. I was over the limit by less than 10 mph each time but rules is rules!

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,154 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Speed limit enforcement

Thanks for this advice. It sounds as though Ireland might be different from the northeastern US, where speed limits are set well below the top safe speed in dry weather. (Speed limits here approximate the maximum safe speed only during heavy rain or light snow.) In any case, Nice is absolutely right that a vacation should be about relaxing, and nothing could be less relaxing than being stopped by the police. I will plan to stay below the posted limits, and just let impatient locals pass. Thanks again.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
9,500 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Speed limit enforcement

If signs of impatient local drivers would be tailgating, honking, or flashing lights--we experienced none of that.

Yellow Springs, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Speed limit enforcement

Just remember that when you are on a divided road with two lanes going the same direction the normal speed lane is the LEFT hand lane. The Irish system is so much better than the one we have. You drive int he left lane and pull into the right lane for overtaking and then, as soon as you're clear, you get back into the left lane. If you camp out in the right lane you may soon have someone flashing their lights at you.

Edited: 11:35 am, April 23, 2014
Boston...
Level Contributor
1,154 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Speed limit enforcement

In fact, that is the way people are SUPPOSED to drive in the states. According to drivers manuals, our left lane is supposed to be for passing only. I already drive that way in the States because it is the considerate thing to do. So I am ready for Ireland!