We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fundraising Basket

Which Dublin hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Augusta, Michigan
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Topic
Fundraising Basket

I am traveling to Dublin and have been asked to pull together an "Ireland" basket for auction in the states for high school sports. I will likely have about $350 US dollars to spend - what would be good Dublin/Ireland specific items to put in the basket? A whiskey you can only buy in Ireland comes to mind if it exists, maybe a local soccer jersey - all ideas accepted, thanks for your help!

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
26,288 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fundraising Basket

You need to state what $350 is in Euros.

I would suggest you get a GAA Jersey rather than a soccer jersey. Soccer is international, GAA is very much an Irish oriented sport.

Put in a bag of Tayto crisps as well. They are uniquely Irish. And put in a crunchie - always a hit with those who don't live here.

www.taytocrisps.ie/about-tayto/product-range/

www.cadbury.ie/products/Crunchie-2389?p=2389

These two shouldn't cost you more than €1.75 or so (sorry but I buy them in bulk which is why I don't know the individual prices!!)

And a box of Barry's Tea. Another uniquely Irish item that won't cost the earth. You should be able to get a packet for €4 or so depending on size. http://www.barrystea.ie/

County Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
766 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fundraising Basket

I like Bean's ideas! I would add Cadbury chocolate and maybe a piece of Celtic type jewlry. A Guiness shirt or baseball hat....

Destination Expert
for Dublin
Level Contributor
3,131 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Fundraising Basket

I agree with Bean. A Dublin Gaelic football or an Irish rugby team jersey.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,393 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fundraising Basket

Tayto crisps are a good idea, but you need proper Armagh tayto and not the Meath variety. http://www.tayto.com/

A bottle or can of Cidona (apple soft drink) would wash it all down.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,275 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fundraising Basket

and a bottle of Cadet red lemonade !

Tralee, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Tralee
Level Contributor
3,832 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fundraising Basket

Box of Barrys tea and a hurling ball - ie a sliotar. Book of poetry by eg Yeats, Heaney, Kennelly, Durcan etc. CD of Dubliners music and songs. DVD box set of Druid Theare's Synge season. Set of Irish whiskey miniatures.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
796 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fundraising Basket

I think a claddagh ring would be a good idea.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
26,288 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fundraising Basket

Jade, the problem with a Claddagh Ring is that its too specific. You'd need to know gender and finger size!!

Hossman, you've got LOTs and LOTs of ideas here - what do YOU think?

Dublin
Destination Expert
for Valletta
Level Contributor
8,052 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fundraising Basket

Bring two American Cowboy hats and Exchange them in Croke Park for Gaelic items as half of the country is going there to see Garth Brooks.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
144 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Fundraising Basket

Cans or bottles of Club Orange were always a hit with the Irish in America when I was there. Also Tayto cheese & onion.