We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

car parking

West Midlands
Level Contributor
110 posts
136 reviews
Save Topic
car parking

We are collecting a hire car from the airport, but on the first and last day of our long weekend, wish to visit some places in the city. Is there car parking at the gaol? Or Trinity college? Or are we better to park somewhere outside the city and get a train/bus in? We are travelling in February, so will have to be aware of the weather too!

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
11,941 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: car parking

I'd would strongly suggest you don't bring a car into the city. There are no car parks attached to Kilmainham or Trinity. Where will you be staying?

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
11,030 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: car parking

I'd plan your trip so that you do everything in the city of Dublin before you rent a car, then do the things outside Dublin for which a car is best.

Dublin
Destination Expert
for Dublin
Level Contributor
4,693 posts
275 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: car parking

If you use the back entrance to Trinity College on the Westland Row/Pearse street side or Lincoln Place entrance you will find on-street parking around the Pearse Street side. Midweek it is Pay and Display. Some parts on a Saturday are free and most parts are free on a Sunday.

http://www.tcd.ie/Maps/map.php

West Midlands
Level Contributor
110 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: car parking

Thanks for your advice. We have already booked the car as we land at Dublin airport on a Friday. We are staying south of Greystones to visit relatives. Is there a station with car parking so we could get the dart/other transport en route from airport or south of Dublin? Presume though these may be full with commuters by the time we get there.?(I know Greystones has this, but it seems a bit silly to do a double journey.) Only other thing I can think of is to pick up the car later and get bus to & from airport, but that seems a bit of an expensive way to do it!

Any suggestions welcome. We plan on spending at least 4 hours in the centre(dependant on weather!!)

Edited: 6:03 am, January 28, 2014
Dublin
Level Contributor
914 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: car parking

Don't leave any valuables in the car. Not even in the booth.

dublin
Level Contributor
131 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: car parking

There are public car parks in city centre that have excellent rates. For example check out Connolly Train Station I use it regularly and it's €8 for the entire day, other car parks could average €3 per hour. Parking at Connolly you can use dart bus or luas (tram) from Connolly Station to get around the city.

Alternatively you can drive your rented car to Heuston Train Station and walk to Kilmainham Gaol from there, weather permitting. Again you can pay by the hour, just €1.50 or €8 for the day. I have also used this car park. You can then get a luas from Heuston to near Trinity (Jervis or Abbey Sypt).

Like any other city, walking around is your best option, weather permitting,

This site is great site for parking information ... So choose Dublin and off you go....

http://www.parkopedia.ie

Let us know if you have other questions on the parking and have a fab time when you visit.

West Midlands
Level Contributor
110 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: car parking

Thanks so much Alicha, that's really helpful!.. will check out the website!

dublin
Level Contributor
131 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: car parking

Welcome!

9. Re: car parking

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, January 31, 2015