We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ireland in September

Which Dublin hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
14 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
ireland in September

Two adults traveling in rental car. This is our prilimiary route. Any comments and/or suggestions?

Fly into Dublin, drive to Wexford for one night.

two nights in Kilkenny

two nights in Killarney

two nights in Limerick or Adare or Galloway- Any thoughts here?

two nights in Dublin

Fly home.

My must see sights are Ring of Kerry or Dingle Pennisula- any thoughts here?

Cliffs of Moher.

Thank-you everyone for your input!

Ann

Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
9,336 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ireland in September

Galloway is in Scotland, I think you may mean Galway ;-)

Other than that, September is my favourite month.

Edited: 4:59 pm, January 22, 2014
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
140 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ireland in September

Is there a special reason for Wexford? Nothing against the place but it wouldn't be on my must see list especially with such a tight schedule.

As for the rest, you probably have just about enough time to see the highlights but don't underestimate driving times as it will take longer than google maps suggests. I would skip Wexford and have a night in either Adare or Limerick on the way from Killarney to Galway..which otherwise will be a long journey from Killarney to Galway, especially as you need to stop at Cliffs of Moher on that journey too.

Bay Area, California
Level Contributor
172 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ireland in September

journeyman29,

Thank you for your comment about underestimating driving times provided by Google Maps/Driving Directions. In the US googlemaps is actually pretty good for time estimates (not perfect but pretty good). For Europe I've used viamichelin.com for calculating/estimating drive times and do note that there are often (but not always) huge differences in the estimated drive time, esp. when the routes involve minor roads. Viamichelin's estimates have proven to be far more accurate in the places I've used it for Europe (France, Germany, other).

Do you have experience with this alternative site for calculating drive times, and if so do you find viamichelin useful and/or generally accurate for planning travel times in Ireland and especially in the rural areas?

thank you

Huntsville, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,243 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ireland in September

We have used this website for our two trips, but be sure to add about 20% on to the time that it shows to account for things such as tractors, sheep, etc. in the road! http://www.theaa.ie/routes/

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
140 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ireland in September

I'm a local so I use googlemaps and it's pretty accurate for me...but I know where I'm going & may not adhere to all the rules all the time!!

For a tourist I would add at least 20%, as suggested by the other poster, and probably add 33%-50% to be realistic..apart from anythin else Ireland is a beautiful country and, as a tourist, it's inevitable that you are going to have some unplanned stops to take it all in!

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
14 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ireland in September

Thank-you everyone for your input. It is all very helpful.

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
24,755 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: ireland in September

September would be the perfect month for that itinerary

Rye, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Dover, Rye
Level Contributor
5,391 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: ireland in September

September is my favourite month. I had two weeks in September 2012 (I miss those days), and it was wonderful.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
56 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: ireland in September

We travelled in August and weather was very supportive, September should be perfect.

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
9,563 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: ireland in September

I love Wexford, but this trip it's not really practical. I'd do your first night in Dublin to be honest, though you might be ok driving to Kilkenny, but no further. Last night in or near Dublin too. Be aware that September is the month in which the All Ireland hurling and football matches will be on in September and it may be more difficult to find somewhere to stay in Dublin if you are planning to be there on those weekends.