We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ferry/train dublin to london

Level Contributor
78 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
ferry/train dublin to london

will be staying in dublin city center. would appreciate any help regards ferry to holyhead and train to london. help.thanks is advance.

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Kilkenny
Level Contributor
3,618 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ferry/train dublin to london

You can book an inclusive ferry and train ticket with Stena or Irish Ferries all the way to London. They don't always tell you about this in the brochures. It works out quite a lot cheaper. Go to www.stenaline.ie and www. irishferries.ie. Irish Ferries sail from Dublin Port. Stena sail from Dun Laoghaire, but include the price of the Dart to Dun Laoghaire in their fare. The prices they give are usually one-way and you double them for the return fare. I would recommend a day time ferry. The night sailings usually rule out any sleep, even if you have a cabin. The fares are usually a little higher for weekend sailings. It's also possible to reserve seats on the train at the time of booking.

north carolina
9 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: ferry/train dublin to london

My husband and I just took a flight from London Heathrow to Shannon, Ireland for $60 US and Dublin was even cheaper two weeks ago on Aer Lingus. BMI and RyanAir were cheaper but we had heavier luggage. You can do the ferry or train but you will pay around $40 US ($25 Euros) and I think the flight is less hassle and less time, depending on how you want to travel. We found that the Heathrow and Gatwick Express trains from DT London were very convenient and the train system in Dublin will afford you freedom to travel anywhere into Ireland.

Level Contributor
78 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ferry/train dublin to london

still making plans and trying to decide air or ferry/train. fly frequently,

thought ferry and ride thru london would be different vacation twist. hopefully the ferry/train is enjoyable.thanks for input.

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Kilkenny
Level Contributor
3,618 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ferry/train dublin to london

Given the way the no-frills air lines run here you might actually find the ferry and train more relaxing and enjoyable. Dublin airport can be a nightmare.

5. Re: ferry/train dublin to london

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:20 am, August 15, 2009