We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Easiest Route from Hertz Car Rental to M50 Motorway

new jersey
Level Contributor
162 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Easiest Route from Hertz Car Rental to M50 Motorway

Since this is our first trip to Ireland to visit where my father grew up Roscommon and this will be the first time my husband will drive on the left side of the roads and getting used to roundabouts; what would be the best and easiest route to get to the M50 south to Roscommon town from Hertz car rental at Dublin airport. I keep reading that drivers messed up at the roundabouts. Thanks

Guernsey, United...
Level Contributor
5,199 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Easiest Route from Hertz Car Rental to M50 Motorway

You will see the M50 signed from Dublin airport, but to get precise directions, you can plot your route on this website and print out the details, which will include a map:

http://routes.aaireland.ie/

As this will be your first time driving in Ireland, allow a little more time than quoted on the web-site : say, 20%, and this will also factor in possible traffic delays, roadworks etc.

You may also find it useful to purchase a copy of this road atlas, which can be ordered online :

www.irishmaps.ie/product/display.cfm…

Guernsey, United...
Level Contributor
5,199 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Easiest Route from Hertz Car Rental to M50 Motorway

Oh - just found this, which I hope will help :

www.drivingschoolireland.com/roundabouts.html

:-)

Parlin, NJ
Level Contributor
138 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Easiest Route from Hertz Car Rental to M50 Motorway

The only time my husband was complaining about the roundabouts were in Galway. I don't know what part of NJ you are from but if you ever took the circle on Rte 35/66 going into Asbury Park, I think that is worse then any roundabout in Ireland. I've driven around it a couple of times (felt like the Griswalds in London) because I kept missing Rt 66 going into Asbury Park. Now when I go there, I avoid the circle totally but that is a different forum...

We never missed our exists on the roundaboutsin Ireland except one in Galway.

Edited: 8:30 am, October 30, 2013
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Easiest Route from Hertz Car Rental to M50 Motorway

Leaving the airport there is a roundabout controlled with traffic lights - so no problem, just follow the signs. On the slip road to the M1 stick left as the M50 slip starts at the end of the Airport entry slip.

On the M50 take the N4 exit [Sligo, Galway & Westport] following the signs for those places. After a while the N4 becomes M4. Stay with it for about 40 miles and then keep left to join the M6 and the spilt. Stay with the M6 until Athlone where for a bit it becomes the N6 and exit after the Shannon Bridge at junction 12 for Roscommon on the N61. At the end of the slip there is a T junction, turn left [signposted Roscommon] and just after you pass under the N6 there is a small roundabout to allow traffic coming from Roscommon enter the N6 and traffic coming from Galway exit the slip. Go straight on to Roscommon on the N61 - a wide single lane each way road for the most part.

You need to pay the toll for the M50 at one of the many shops which can transact the business. The M4 toll is cash or card.

new jersey
Level Contributor
162 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Easiest Route from Hertz Car Rental to M50 Motorway

Thanks Mary Beth, we know the circle in NJ. Hopefully, my husband will survive the first day driving out of Dublin Airport to Roscommon.

new jersey
Level Contributor
162 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Easiest Route from Hertz Car Rental to M50 Motorway

Thanks everyone for your help. Greatly appreciated.

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,498 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Easiest Route from Hertz Car Rental to M50 Motorway

If you have a GPS you won't need to stress about it.

Dublin
Level Contributor
1,872 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Easiest Route from Hertz Car Rental to M50 Motorway

Here is the route from Hertz to the M50 - http://goo.gl/maps/kZufE

The M50 is well signposted from there and if you go to the street view, you will have a good idea of where you are travelling. About 10 minutes will get you to the start of the M50 from Hertz.

After leaving Hertz, you will have one or two small roundabouts, and then you will come to a traffic light controlled big roundabout - it has a large sculpture in the centre (supposed to represent the tail fin of an aeroplane, I think) - you take the 3rd exit which will be signposted M1/M50/City Centre. You will come to another traffic light controlled roundabout and you take the 2nd exit, which will be signposted M50/City Centre. As you approach this roundabout, one of the lanes will be marked M50, so just get in that lane and follow the M50 lane the rest of the way.

By the way, if you miss your exit on a roundabout, don't panic, just continue around it until you come to your exit - there have been many occasions when I have been travelling outside Ireland, that I've had to go around a roundabout twice to get my exit.

9. Re: Easiest Route from Hertz Car Rental to M50 Motorway

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, November 01, 2014