We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Ireland

Which Dublin hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting Ireland

Hi

I'm from South Africa and I'm going to Holland for two months. During that time I would like to visit Ireland and to my knowledge (which might be incorrect) I don't need a visa to enter Ireland. On their website there are two lists: one is for countries who will need a visa to enter Ireland and the other is for countries who don't need a visa. Is this correct? If South Africa is on the list of countries who do not need a visa, can I just fly to Ireland from Holland and they will let me in?

I'm new to traveling and would really appreciate some help. Thanks so much!

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting Ireland

My reading of this www.irishstatutebook.ie/2011/en/si/0146.html is that you do not need a visa. However you need to check before you travel just in case my reading of the law is incorrect, I'm not a lawyer!

You will need to bring a passport from The Netherlands to Ireland in every case if for no other reason than to meet airline regulations.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Dublin
Level Contributor
7,455 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting Ireland

Hi Anika

You would be best to contact the Irish embassy in South Africa before you make any plans.

www.embassyireland.org.za/home/index.aspx…

Cavan
Destination Expert
for County Cavan
Level Contributor
4,475 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting Ireland

The UK and Ireland are not signed up to the European Schengen visa arrangement, so you might need a tourist visa to visit Ireland. Best check with an Irish or British embassy in SA. Have a look at the Schengen website: www.schengenvisa.cc/

Edited: 7:28 am, October 15, 2013
Johannesburg, South...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting Ireland

You do not need a visa. They will give you a visa at immigration depending on how long you will stay.

5. Re: Visiting Ireland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, October 18, 2014