We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Budget Car Rental at Dublin Airport-caveats

Des Moines, IA
Level Contributor
18 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Budget Car Rental at Dublin Airport-caveats

I recently rented a car from Budget Car Rental at Dublin Airport. I'd made a reservation on line, but when I went to pick up the car I was told that my preferred size was not available. I was "upgraded" to a larger car at an additional cost of USD9.00 per day.

The car itself had low tread on the tires, the engine oil was at the end of its recommended life and the windshield washer fluid reservoir was almost empty. In other words, the car had been poorly serviced.

Finally, although my rate had been quoted in Euros and the final bill was in Euros, my credit card was charged in dollars. In doing so, the company added a 3.5% exchange rate fee. This added approximately $26 to my bill. This is unconscionable, especially since no warning was given that this was going to happen. All in all, a thoroughly unpleasant experience.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
17,686 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Budget Car Rental at Dublin Airport-caveats

odd that you were charged for an upgrade, if the booked size was not available. is it possible that you were "offered" an upgrade? staff are urged to increase the take. if you had refused to pay, and as they did not have your specific group, they would have to have given you a free upgrade.

I would be confident that your tyres were legal, even if they were not as new. and as for oil? how did you come to the conclusion that it was at the end of its life? some cars have long service intervals, due to use of synthetic oils.

finally, as it was an American cc that you used, the debit on your card would of course have to be in dollars, and it is your cc that charged you for conversion from euros to dollars.

Des Moines, IA
Level Contributor
18 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Budget Car Rental at Dublin Airport-caveats

Nakagoli, the car's on-board diagnostic system said that the oil needed to be changed. The tires were legal, but just barely.

I used a U.S. credit card all over Ireland and was charged in Euros. My credit card company doesn't charge a currency conversion fee. I always specify that I want to be charged in the local currency (in this case, Euros) because my card company charges me a favorable exchange rate. In this case, it wasn't the card company that did the conversion, it was Budget. Although I specified that I wanted to be charged in Euros, I was charged in dollars so that they could make a little extra money from me. That's my biggest concern about the rental. The condition of the car was secondary.

Edited: 4:03 pm, October 08, 2013
England, United...
Level Contributor
1,711 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Budget Car Rental at Dublin Airport-caveats

There is no way you should have been charged for an upgrade if your chosen car was not available. And the charge in dollars rather than Euros is a bit of a scam, usually you are asked which currency you want to use for payment. Have to say I have used Budget before without problems, but your experience is disappointing to say the least. I'm sorry this happened and hope it didnt leave you with too much of a bad impression of Ireland. $26 isn't a great sum of money in the scheme of things, but I agree, it leaves a sour taste...

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
17,686 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Budget Car Rental at Dublin Airport-caveats

computerised diagnostics can be totally misleading. they are based on dates and mileage. my own car showed the oil change light exactly 1 year after I bought it, but had only done 5000kms! oil was perfectly all right , but computer didn't know that! you don't state age of car or its mileage, so it is impossible to know if oil was at the end of its life. one or two rentals were going to be no problem with the service indicator on. a bit annoying mybe to you, but not a sign that there was anything wrong.

as regards tyres, maybe in your opinion the tyres were barely legal, but did you have these checked by anyone? as long as they were legal, there is no reason for complaint.

Des Moines, IA
Level Contributor
18 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Budget Car Rental at Dublin Airport-caveats

I had to reply, because of your concern that the rental experience left a bad impression about Ireland. I absolutely LOVED Ireland. The people, of course, are the main reason. You won't find a nicer group of people on this planet. Everywhere we went, we met interesting people who went out of their way to make us feel welcome.

Of course, the Guinness, Jameson's and traditional music didn't hurt. <g>

Edited: 7:49 pm, October 08, 2013
Huntsville, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,340 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Budget Car Rental at Dublin Airport-caveats

Heartland, why did you sign the charge slip if it was in dollars instead of Euros? You could have refused at that point, told them to void that transaction and run it through again in Euros.

I am glad you had a good trip otherwise!

Edited: 1:16 pm, October 09, 2013
Des Moines, IA
Level Contributor
18 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Budget Car Rental at Dublin Airport-caveats

This is an update to my post of October 8 at 3:10 pm regarding Budget Car Rental. Shortly after I posted, I received an email from a member of Budget's service team, expressing concern about my experience. Today I received a telephone call from Mr. O'Malley, a Budget customer service manager. He was very helpful in resolving this matter.

I am completely satisfied that the experience I encountered was a "one-off", and that Budget's cars in Ireland are well serviced. I am also amazed by the level of customer service demonstrated by both members of Budget's customer service team who contacted me. On my next visit to Ireland, I will certainly rent from Budget.

I'd appreciate it if someone could tell me how to modify my original post to add these comments directly. I don't want the negative review sitting out there, since Budget has been so concerned and attentive in this matter.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
52,337 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Budget Car Rental at Dublin Airport-caveats

It's up to you as to whether it remains there at all. You can always remove your own posts by selecting "report inappropriate content" and choosing "remove my post" from the drop-down menu.

If you choose to do that, your other thread from today praising Budget is going to look a bit out of place. You can remove both, or just leave things the way they are.

Des Moines, IA
Level Contributor
18 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Budget Car Rental at Dublin Airport-caveats

Thanks for this information.

10. Re: Budget Car Rental at Dublin Airport-caveats

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, October 13, 2014