We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from Dublin to Belfast.

Which Dublin hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Connecticut
Level Contributor
58 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Train from Dublin to Belfast.

We are thinking of taking the train from Dublin to Belfast for the day. Looking at the schedule there appears to be a train that leaves about 7:00 am and arrives at 9:10, and then a train that leaves at 22:00 and arrives at 22:10. This schedule appears to give a decent amount of time wondering around Belfast. Does this sound like it is do-able? The train leaves dublin oconnelly and arrives Belfast center. They offer a reserve seat for additional euros, is this necessary? We are planning on doing this Monday, September 23rd. Any thoughts, comments,advisements...

Thanks

Ireland
Level Contributor
1,038 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Train from Dublin to Belfast.

It's very doable. I used to do this for work regularly. If you go first class, you can have breakfast served to you during the journey. I always loved that.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train from Dublin to Belfast.

Belfast Central is a little way out of town. When you arrive take a train back to Belfast Great Victoria Street [GVS] which is right in the city center.

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,372 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train from Dublin to Belfast.

Yes, very doable:)

Your train ticket will get you a free bus transfer to the city centre (only about 5 minute journey time). You just turn left after exiting Central Station and you will see the bus stop.

I like the HOHO bus tour but the more personal black taxi/ cab tours are very popular. If you get the HOHO bus, you can get off at stops such as the Titanic Experience and Crumlin Road Gaol which are popular tourist attractions. The Titanic Experience has been very popular and can be sold out some times so maybe check availability for your date. I imagine on a Monday in late September, it should be ok but if it is an essential site for you, you might want to prebook your time. Keeping with the Titanic theme, the Nomadic and tour of dry dock/pumphouse are also popular.

The free guided city hall tours (set times only) are also very highly recommended.

Another must do for most people is the Crown Liquor Saloon opposite the infamous most bombed hotel, the Europa.

There are a couple of apps which you can download if you want to walk around the city yourself. I love some of the old entries (alleys) with the old pubs.

I think the train is 20:00 rather than 22:00 but that gives you time to have dinner before getting the train back.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
58 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train from Dublin to Belfast.

Yes, sorry I meant the train leaves Belfast at 20:00 and arrives dublin at 22:10! We are planning on doing the black taxi tour. Should we be concerned about arriving outside of city center and what about getting back to the train station on the way back, does the bus run in the evening as well.

Thanks

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train from Dublin to Belfast.

I find the GVS train connection the best - all the local trains connect both and are included in the price of the ticket [as are connections in Dublin to Pearse and Tara Street stations]

Edited: 5:59 pm, August 18, 2013
Destination Expert
for Dublin
Level Contributor
3,131 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Train from Dublin to Belfast.

Any time I've taken the train into Belfast Central station I've just walked into town. It's only a 10 minute walk into the very centre

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,372 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train from Dublin to Belfast.

Yes, it is a very manageable walk.

I tend to recommend the metro bus to first timers because it leaves you at the City Hall so you're right in the centre. If you stand at the front of the city hall (lawn area) and look straight ahead up Royal Avenue, the official Belfast Welcome Centre (tourist info) is on that road on the left hand side so only a minute or so walk away. That means a visitor can pick up a map, info etc..

The train to GVS works very well but unless you are staying at one of the nearby hotels (Fitzwilliam, Jury's, Europa etc), or to go straight to the Crown, you will almost certainly want to walk back up to the City Hall/tourist info centre. What may work well is if you get the bus in and end your day with a drink in the crown or meal along great Victoria street and get the train back from there.

We have some excellent regular contributors on the Belfast forum (within the Northern Ireland forum) including destination experts, a black taxi driver and even frequent visitors so if you have any Belfast specific questions, it would be worth posting them there for good local knowledge.

8. Re: Train from Dublin to Belfast.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, August 20, 2014