We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pub/Dinner Suggestions for 1st night in Dublin

Which Dublin hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Branchburg, New...
Level Contributor
71 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Pub/Dinner Suggestions for 1st night in Dublin

We'll be arriving on Sun, Sept 1 and will be staying first 2 nights in Dublin at the DT Dublin (old Burlington Hotel) before taking the CIE Taste of Ireland tour. We might want to check out Temple Bar for the experience (assume HoHo bus goes there, right?), but we hear its overpriced and very touristy. We would appreciate other suggestions for good, reasonably priced, less-touristy pubs/restaurants within walking distances of our hotel. We enjoy seafood, steaks, and experience some Irish dishes. Are pubs open on Sunday evenings? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Pub/Dinner Suggestions for 1st night in Dublin

Temple Bar is good for a bit of craic, but as you seem to already know, it's a wee bit tourist-oriented. That said, coming from the US, you're not in for a cheap night out no matter where you are- pints are 4-5 euro (7-8 USD) at nearly any pub.

From other pubs, basically take your pic. Not sure what age range you're in, but a number of the pubs around Trinity are frequented by students- Porterhouse and Ginger Man are my two recommendations. I'm an American who attended Trinity for 4 years (graduating in 2011)- nearly every Sunday in the fall/winter was spent at the Ginger Man- they show NFL games every week! More towards Harcourt street (closer to Ranelagh where you'll be), the Bleeding Horse and the Barge are both great times. You really can't go wrong- it's easy to make your own fun.

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
24,297 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Pub/Dinner Suggestions for 1st night in Dublin

This is a decent enough pub across the road from your hotel.

www.m-obriens.ie

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
162 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pub/Dinner Suggestions for 1st night in Dublin

The Palace Bar at the Westmoreland Street end of Temple Bar is a lovely old style pub that hasn't really changed in years. They don't do food though.

Check the other thread on restaurants in Dublin, there are recommendations there for nice places particularly The Pig's Ear, Winding Stair and I've suggested the Bull and Castle, it would be a little cheaper than the others and has a pub upstairs but downstairs is more of a restaurant. It's also beside Christchurch cathedral and the far end of Temple Bar/Dame Street.

Branchburg, New...
Level Contributor
71 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pub/Dinner Suggestions for 1st night in Dublin

Thanks everyone for suggestions. I was doing further research .... how is the Whitefriar Grill? I see they have a 55 Euro fot two menu including a bottle of house wine... could that be true? Dinner for two with wine for only $75?

dublin, ireland
Level Contributor
7 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pub/Dinner Suggestions for 1st night in Dublin

It's true. You'll find alot to restaurants will do early bird/pre-theatre menus on a Sunday..great value. Once the recession hit the restaurants started to offer better value for money...you will see alot of 2 course, 3 course deals around.

I would avoid Temple Bar like the plague...most of the restaurants and bars are over-priced, and below par.

The hotel you are in is not too far from the city centre - 10-15 mins walk down Leeson St through St. Stephens Green and you are at the top of Grafton St.

If you want a pub that does food I can recommend The Bank on College Green http://www.bankoncollegegreen.com/ The building is beautiful inside, food is good and very generous portions. Service is good too.

The Church, on the other side of the river is similar in that it's an interesting building, now a pub/bar that serves food. http://www.thechurch.ie/

Baggot St is not from you and there is a nice french restaurant there called Chez Max...Baggot St (http://www.chezmax.ie/baggot/) also has some great traditional pubs - Toners, Doheny & Nesbitts as well as O'Donoghues.

Dublin has a pile of great restaurants, most doing great deals. Am happy to give you more options!

Branchburg, New...
Level Contributor
71 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pub/Dinner Suggestions for 1st night in Dublin

Thanks for all your suggestions. Regarding you comment on "early-bird" specials does that mean that there is a time limit (i.e., only between 5 -6 PM only) that the "55 Euro for two menu" can be ordered? The Whitefriar Grill's website does not specifiy - just states that the menu is available from 5 PM. In the states, an "early-bird" special usually can only be ordered before a specific time.

Dublin Ireland
Level Contributor
2,142 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pub/Dinner Suggestions for 1st night in Dublin

The whitefriar grill is really good. They also do a fantastic Sunday Brunch.

I would echo staying away from temple bar apart from a look. It's a nice spot to walk around during the day but the bars are overpriced and very touristy at night.

A great restaurant around the corner from your hotel is the Canal Bank Cafe.

Edited: 12:30 pm, July 26, 2013
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
162 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pub/Dinner Suggestions for 1st night in Dublin

Early Bird's tended back when we all had money and were going out every night of the week for dinner to be time limited - now many restaurants have them all night Sunday to Thursday and they might only be time limited on Friday and Saturday, it's become a bit like the "menu del dia" in Spain but has retained the early bird name. The restaurants will have an a la carte menu also, so the EB is a slightly (sometimes) limited menu. And the Whitefriar is definitely available on Sunday from 5pm.

I was just checking out the Whitefriar grill menu myself for next week and it does look very good, I haven't been there yet but have heard lots of good reports on it.

Hartford...
Level Contributor
20 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pub/Dinner Suggestions for 1st night in Dublin

Hope the weather is cool since the DT Dublin is having a makeover to a Hilton. Our room last week had no AC and the windows only open a few inches. When you get to your floor look around for a fan and grab it. On the other hand, the breakfast was great. Avoid the fish and chips restaurant down the street along the river when you drove in that is recommended; the fish was like cardboard and the place was fair, nothing to write home about. I'd recommend the hotel's bar over the fish restaurant. The DT seemed to be the worst hotel when compared to the others on our CIE tour. Don't judge the tour on the first night.

Branchburg, New...
Level Contributor
71 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Pub/Dinner Suggestions for 1st night in Dublin

Thanks BandCSwans --- so I take it you enjoyed the CIE tour? I'd like to hear more of you comments/suggestions regarding the CIE tour.