We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dublin at the beginning or end of our trip

Which Dublin hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Minneapolis...
5 posts
Save Topic
Dublin at the beginning or end of our trip

Hi,

My husband and I are traveling to Ireland Sept. 15-30, both arriving and departing from Dublin. We want to spend a couple nights in Dublin where we hope to 'do the sights' and the rest of our trip traveling around the country. We will be renting a car and mostly enjoying the scenery, staying in B&B's, and meeting the local people in the pubs in small towns. What is the general feeling, visiting Dublin the first couple days of our trip, or saving it for the end?

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,350 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dublin at the beginning or end of our trip

If you are arriving from N. America on an overnight flight then stay in Dublin when you arrive and then drive off when you are well rested and adjusted.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
18,102 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dublin at the beginning or end of our trip

Depends on your alternative first night.. how long you would have to cart your luggage before the accommodation lets you drop it and other factors known only to yourself.

Minneapolis...
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Dublin at the beginning or end of our trip

We land at 9:30 am. I imagine it'll take a couple hours to get into Dublin (taxi or bus). I would think that by noon we could drop off our luggage at wherever we are staying (not arranged yet) and then do something easy like a hop on/off bus tour to get our bearings. But on the other hand, after flying all night, it might be better getting away from the busy big city and finding a first night rest and relaxation in a small town. So I was wondering what others have done and would they do it again?

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,102 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dublin at the beginning or end of our trip

works both ways. I wouldn't recommend any more than a couple of hours from the airport unless motorway all the way. Kilkenny is a popular first night, Galway another although I would put a couple of options between DUB & Galway such as Birr or Athlone or Tullamore which we used to use before the Motorway. Belfast is a good option if you want to go north. There are others..Depends on the whole itinerary and at the end of the day the choice is strictly yours.

Indianapolis
Level Contributor
401 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dublin at the beginning or end of our trip

My personal recommendation is to start off the trip in Dublin. Most hotels will let you check your luggage even if they don't allow early check in to your room. At least that was my experience on three of my trips. We dropped bags and then went to get something to eat and started our tour of Dublin. One time we did the 1916 Rebellion Walking Tour and it was great - and by the time we got back to the hotel, we were able to check in. Try to keep moving the first day and go to bed a bit early (8 or 9 local time) and this will help you get over jetlag.

On one trip we rented our car and drove to Cork, stopping for lunch in the town of Portlaoise. By the time we got to Cork we were absolutely exhausted, but we had a limited schedule on that trip.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
236 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Dublin at the beginning or end of our trip

I did Dublin at the beginning of my trip recently. It was nice to not have to worry about having to drive and being able to deal with the jetlag and get our bearings set. Our hotel room wasn't ready when we got there (about 11am), but they held our luggage for us, no problem. Also, although I loved Dublin, it is a big city, and not the greenery/beautiful countryside like the rest of the country. I think I preferred starting with the big city and spending the rest of the trip in the smaller towns and seeing all of the things that brought me to Ireland, and things you can't see in the US. Just my 2cents! Can't really go wrong either way!

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,498 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dublin at the beginning or end of our trip

Thanks for this timely thread! We've been having this debate as well for our 8 day trip in Sept. My plan was to spend a night in Dub upon arrival but my hubby doesn't like the idea of schlepping luggage into town and then back out to the airport the next day to get a car. Our latest thought as of last night is to skip Dub completely. We arrive at 8 a.m., we'd rent the car, head right to Kilkenny and hopefully have enough energy to see the castle that day . By skipping Dub completely we'll have an extra night in the Kenmare/Killarney area, so we can probably do a Gap tour one day and the ROK the next. I can't decide if I"ll regret not being able to see Dub.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,350 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dublin at the beginning or end of our trip

Going to an out of town place is a nice idea. The only problem is that you have to drive there, in an unfamilar car, on the other side of the road, after a few hours sleep in a chair. This isn't impossible, but it is worth thinking about it.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,102 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dublin at the beginning or end of our trip

Heading straight to Kilkenny is a relatively easy option..where people slip up is thinking "Oh lets do the scenic route on the way." It depends how packed your 8 days are but I generally say save Dublin to the end. have your last day there even if you opt for an airport hotel and bus in/out

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,498 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dublin at the beginning or end of our trip

I agree! I'm definitely thinking about it! At least Kilkenny appears to be an easy drive. I wish we could go to Glendalough on the way but I've given up on that idea. Hubby seems to think he can handle it.

(Typed this at the same time Tony was replying to me)

Edited: 10:39 am, July 24, 2013