We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Favorite Guide Book?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
189 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Favorite Guide Book?

Hello Fellow TA members,

While I like doing my own research online, here on TA as well as other travel sites and Google etc. I also like to read guide books when planning a trip. Maybe not as cool/indie etc. but sometimes I can get a little bit of Google overload (and lets face it my eyes get tired... I do stare at a computer all day) and would rather pick up a book instead. So I was curious if you've used guide books to plan a trip to Dublin what guidebook did you use? Did you like it, would you not recommend the book you bought. I am also planning on taking at least one day trip while in Dublin so I am not sure if I should but two books, one Dublin specific and one covering Ireland so I can research the day trip(s) or just one...

So what do you say, give my eyes a break please :-) Any recommendations of guidebooks you liked would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Canada
Level Contributor
5,487 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Favorite Guide Book?

Do they have libraries in New York? I usually start my planning with raiding as many books on a destination as possible from my library. Then when I find one that I consider good , I buy it. Too many guide books waste space on hotels and restaurants that contribute to the books profit line.

I often like DK guides and sometimes Frommers walking tours of cities.

Whitehorse, Canada
Level Contributor
320 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Favorite Guide Book?

Its not really a guidebook, but McCarthy's Bar gives you some really good travel stuff in Ireland. Travel writer Pete McCarthy was following traces of his ancestry. His eighth rule of travel: "Never pass a bar with your name on it." Works for me. Well enough that we made a pilgrimage to MacCarthy's Bar in Castletownbere, Co. Cork.

He also wrote The Road to McCarthy (its in Alaska). Same theme, but worldwide in scope.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
10,324 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Favorite Guide Book?

I'm also a library fan--read Rick Steves, Fodors, Frommers, and Lonely Planet.

I compile information into a Word document so I only have what I need written the way I like it.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
626 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Favorite Guide Book?

Hi,

Not essentially guide books but here's some website guides that might help you (I'm not a huge fan of guide books):

www.heritageireland.ie/en/

www.museum.ie/en/homepage.aspx…

www.castleireland.com/

www.culturefox.ie

www.christchurchdublin.ie (check the events section on the right)

www.nch.ie/Online/

www.gatetheatre.ie

www.gardenvisit.com/grdens/in/ireland

www.discoverireland.ie

www.menupages.ie

www.ifi.ie (cinema)

www.the02.ie/ (music venu)

www.bordgaisenergytheatre.ie/

www.writersmuseum.com/

www.dublinbus.ie/

www.luas.ie/ (tram)

www.irishrail.ie/ (for national and local (DART) train services)

www.visitdublin.com/

www.visitwicklow.ie/

I hope this helps and enjoy your visit!!!

Edited: 5:05 am, July 17, 2013
Westchester County...
Level Contributor
1,408 posts
744 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Favorite Guide Book?

A few other options:

Top questions on TA here has a whole discussion on books and there are others here you can access with the or by means of Google . I use libraries and second sellers for saving money on materials. Additionally like Andy above, I collect info and scan/copy into day by day folders which I access on the trip as needed according to my schedule.

Finally, TA and other sites are great tools with vast and easy access library files if you're traveling with wifi device or smart phone. Libraries, tour offices as well as many accommodations provide facile access. There are also websites you can search for further free access info on your Irish trip.

Edited: 11:06 am, July 17, 2013
Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
22 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Favorite Guide Book?

We borrowed quite a few books from our library system and when there was a page or map we wanted to have as a reference we took a picture of it with our iPad. Saved us carrying books with us.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
196 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Favorite Guide Book?

Hi there, I am exactly like you and love to actually delve into books about the places I'm going - having something tangible to read makes it a lot more exciting to me. I am going in September, and the book I actually found easiest to read was of all things, "Ireland for Dummies." I sped through that in just a few hours.

"Rick Steves' Ireland" is probably best for the complete details on everything - including an entire section on Dublin, but be forewarned it's a LOT of information so it's a little daunting at first. He has some great tips, but also take some of his advice with a grain of salt - he likes to promote certain hotels/shops that I think he may actually be getting a kickback from them for. Also, he has a lot of avid followers, so if he mentions a place as being "hidden" or "hole in the wall", chances are his followers have already found it and it's not as secret anymore. But don't get me wrong - I found most of his advice extremely helpful.

Think about heading over to good ol' Barnes & Noble and just having a seat and reading through some travel books - that way you can find what you're looking for before you purchase. If you're primarily interested in Dublin, maybe it doesn't make sense to buy an entire book on the whole country. But I highly recommend the two I just mentioned. Good luck!

Edited: 12:24 pm, July 17, 2013
Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,048 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Favorite Guide Book?

When in Ireland or at least 99.4% of Ireland be careful of the RS name drop.. I believe watching Leap Year is the video equivalent to RS Ireland.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
196 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Favorite Guide Book?

HAHAHAHA! That's great, Tony.

Moosup, Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,660 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Favorite Guide Book?

"Insight Guide..Ireland' is a great book-; detailed maps of major area-includes Dublin suburbs and DART rail link. Many sites are cross referenced to maps. Information re best scenery,popular attractions,prehistoric sites and towns. Great resource, altho somewhat heavy to carry. Cadoganguides "SouthwestIreland" is another source of detailed information regarding the counties of Cork,Kerry,Limerick and Clare. The best advice is to see what your library,local book store has then make a selection based on your planned trip. Check on availability of "ebooks" also.

Edited: 1:59 pm, July 17, 2013