We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Don't rent with Europcar Dublin

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
8 posts
459 reviews
Save Topic
Don't rent with Europcar Dublin

Having experienced various hikes of prices for insurance went renting a car in Dublin- why is this so difficult in a country this size - we arranged our hire with a company who included the insurance and were sent to Europcar. On arrival at the counter we had to wait almost 30 minutes for service as only one person was serving (despite other staff being in the office). When we were served, the staff were rude and unhelpful. We knew E1200 would be temporarily taken from my credit card for damage which is a ridiculous cost compared with other countries. Then I'm told that E90 will be taken from my credit card for fuel in case I don't bring the car back full even though I said I would. E90? That is almost double the cost of a full tank. Even though I get the money back I have to pay exchange charges. Then we wait another 35 minutes for a Europcar bus to collect the car as there isn't room in the first bus. Finally, on returning the car, the buses are so infrequent, someone waiting with us, called her Dad so as not to miss her flight. Ridiculous!! Pick anyone else

72 replies to this topic
Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
18,587 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Don't rent with Europcar Dublin

I think that you will find that all car firms will hold a large deposit, possibly due to the fact that a lot of drivers renting cars, come from usa or mainland Europe, where driving on the left can prove a difficulty. Ireland has had a lot of accidents and fatalities amongst those used to driving on the right.

re delay at desk, nothing unusual if there is a sudden influx at one time. I have been stuck waiting in munich for over half an hour, on several occasions. delays are often caused by some renters not providing right info, and (dare I say it?) by disputes over insurance cover or lack of it.

as for a deposit for petrol.......that is a bit unusual, but as it is put on hold on your credit card, and not activated if you return the car full, there could not be any problems with exchange rate

delay for bus? yes, that was not nice, but unfortunately the hire cars are kept off site. was it possible that the bus had renters from other firms also on the bus? it seems unlikely that it was in fact a europcar bus, but one provided by the airport.

Huntsville, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,413 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Don't rent with Europcar Dublin

The two times that we have rented a car in Ireland (we typically rent from Budget) we have also be charged a very high price for a tank of fuel (from recollection it was close to $150 USD) and then when we return the car full, we receive a credit back on our credit card...I don't think this is an unusual practice at all. A car hire firm certainly won't 'take your word' for it that you will return the car full so they charge you at the time of rental and then credit you back when you do return the car full. Sorry you did have the delays though, I can image that was frustrating.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
53,536 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Don't rent with Europcar Dublin

I know it's frustrating to wait, but consider the difficulty in staffing for a business where a huge portion of your customers arrive in the morning, descend on the counter, and then an hour later you've got one person coming along every 20 minutes. It doesn't make sense to bring on staff to work for 2 hours, and who would want that schedule anway? If there is a crowd, i just walk away and grab a coffee and come back in a bit.

I'm in Ireland now. Last night I put in 40 euro of diesel in the tank and it got me half a tank in a VW Golf. So €90 euro isn't really out of line.

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
2 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Don't rent with Europcar Dublin

Absolutely agree with the first comment. We rent a car last week at Europcar Dublin City Centre office via special online offer. The initially cost was 23€. The real cost was 80€. We've paid 35€ additional to travel from Dublin to UK (Belfast). Furthermore, they also took 18€ because they couldn't block 1200€ for possible damage although we contracted an Allianze Insurance that covered till 3000€ in case of damage. Absolutely ridiculous. A fraud. Choose another company to rent a car.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
18,587 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Don't rent with Europcar Dublin

the 18€ was obviously for scdw. presumably as your credit card did not have enough balance to allow the normal hold. nothing wrong with that! as regards the charge for n.ireland. did you ask to include uk? if so, there is every possibility that the company were under the impression that you were taking car out of the island of Ireland. or maybe you left car in Belfast and so incurred a charge for different drop off?

the simple fact is that these charges would have been advised to you BEFORE you took the car, so you would have had ample opportunity to decline if you wanted to.

Oslo
Destination Expert
for Norway, Oslo
Level Contributor
12,973 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Don't rent with Europcar Dublin

Allianze Insurance? Probably means you booked through CarTrawler - take up your complaint with them for not being totally transparent with consequences of choosing Allianze.

tripadvisor.co.uk/…31818273

All car hire companies will protect themselves by taking a hold on your credit card for the excess on their insurances if you use an external insurance for car hire CDW excess cover. In case of damage you would have to pay - hence the hold on card and later claim from your insurance with a complicated claims procedure. If using an external insurance make sure you read through the conditions!

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
18,587 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Don't rent with Europcar Dublin

dyoll. why blame car trawler? Allianz is an independent insurer, and the implication from the poster was that they had a separate "excess" insurance policy (I also have one, nothing to do with car trawler!). even if you have an excess insurance, it is an independent claim, and does not mean that renter will not hold a deposit. you have to claim separately for any cost you may incur as part of excess. as I said before, it appears that the poster did not have enough credit on their card to allow europcar to hold a deposit, so europcar rightly applied the scdw to protect themselves.

all the issues complained about appear to be the responsibility of the poster. maybe if they were clearer on their situation, it would help?

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,586 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Don't rent with Europcar Dublin

I had a $1500 hold put on my credit card by Enterprise in JFK a few years ago when I rented with them. I knew it was going to happen because I read all the fine print and information before making the booking. So it doesn't just happen in Ireland.

Oslo
Destination Expert
for Norway, Oslo
Level Contributor
12,973 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Don't rent with Europcar Dublin

Allianze is heavily promoted by CarTrawler when you book with them - hence my guess. Never seen it mentioned before when people asking about CDW excess cover and doesn't come up in a search of the Ireland forum.

PARIS
Level Contributor
12,812 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Don't rent with Europcar Dublin

I am always saddened by these 'horror' stories for car hire in Ireland.

Two weeks ago we rented a car in NYC to go to the coast. Nothing was more simple with no hidden costs and easy options for returning the car with or without fuel.

Reply to: Don't rent with Europcar Dublin
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted