We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Local bus or taxi? Dublin airport to Whitehall

Drysdale, Victoria...
Level Contributor
51 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Local bus or taxi? Dublin airport to Whitehall

Dropping off hire car at Dublin airport and heading for our b&b in Swords Rd Whitehall. Apparently located on a local bus route.

My concern is the bus timetable specifies only limited luggage space so will we have any problem getting on with a small- med sized suitcase each?

Would we be better off getting a taxi?

From what I read the shuttle bus (and I don't know if it goes past) only stops at a few specific stops.

If this is correct, it doesn't seem as if it would suit.

Anyone know if it is cheaper to prebook train travel online from Hueston to Kilkenny? We arrive approx 2.30 and there is a train at 4.40. Enough time for formalities at airport and bus to station?

Any local knowledge would be greatly appreciated.

Renate

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,695 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Local bus or taxi? Dublin airport to Whitehall

Whitehall is a short hop from the airport. Taxi should be more than €10-12.

Do you plan to drop bags off in Whitehall before going to Heuston. If so time could be tight if there are any delays on arrival at DUB. Online purchase of train tickets is cheaper but you must specify a particular train time

Drysdale, Victoria...
Level Contributor
51 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Local bus or taxi? Dublin airport to Whitehall

No, we are actually doing the train trip when we first arrive Ireland. When we get back to Dublin 5 days later we plan to hand in hire car as posts indicate a car is more of a hassle in Dublin. Then 2 nights Dublin b&b before heading out.

Oslo
Destination Expert
for Norway, Oslo
Level Contributor
14,346 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Local bus or taxi? Dublin airport to Whitehall

Booking the train on-line is cheaper and then you get reserved seats, disadvantage is that the time is fixed. I would allow 2 1/2 to 3 hours from arrival time so go for 17:35 train - you might just make the 16:40, but it will cost sweat and worry. If you do arrive in time for 16:40 train then you can pay a little to change the ticket to an earlier train (not later!), but you lose your reserved seat. Landing time is wheels on tarmac - not disembarking - and you have to allow for passport control (unless you are coming from UK), baggage collection, waiting for bus, travel and you are supposed to arrive 30 mins before departure.

Alternative is to book the 16:40 and if time is short take a taxi which would cost you about EUR 25, but at rush hour this might be slow too.

Edited: 8:54 am, April 30, 2013
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Local bus or taxi? Dublin airport to Whitehall

Schoolkids with bags, sports hold-alls, rackets and hockey sticks all manage to fit in the buses so I don't imagine that two hand held suitcases will be a problem.

I was passport checked on arrival from Gatwick a few weeks ago.

Drysdale, Victoria...
Level Contributor
51 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Local bus or taxi? Dublin airport to Whitehall

Thanks for the input. Guess we can always try the bus and if they knock us back, there's always a taxi.

I don't suppose anyone knows how much of a saving there is when booking online?

Level Contributor
168 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Local bus or taxi? Dublin airport to Whitehall

Your bags will fit on the bus. Taxi will be more than 12. 2 people two bags could be close to 18. Train tickets are cheaper on line. You will not make that train. A direct bus to hueston leaves the airport from the old terminal. I think oz flights mostly land at the new one. Its a nice walk after getting off the plane.

Edited: 5:07 am, May 01, 2013
Drysdale, Victoria...
Level Contributor
51 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Local bus or taxi? Dublin airport to Whitehall

Thanks for that.

Venice, Florida
Level Contributor
2,270 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Local bus or taxi? Dublin airport to Whitehall

Pricing for train tickets purchased online vary, depending upon date of purchase and demand. They can be purchased up to 28 days in advance and CAN be as little as 1/3 the price of 'Walk Up'.

Haven't bought tickets to Kilkenney before, but we have bought tickets from Mallow to Dublin a few times, for as little 10 Euro per person --each way.

Bob

Venice, Florida
Level Contributor
2,270 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Local bus or taxi? Dublin airport to Whitehall

Where in Swords are your accommodations? Travelodge and Premier Inn share a pay for use shuttle -- a large, double-decker bus. It costs 1 Euro per person. If you are staying at either (or close by) it could be an option.

Bob

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
219 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Local bus or taxi? Dublin airport to Whitehall

I'm confused. - You are going straight to the train from the Airport when you land ............. then you say you are handing the car back at Dublin. Are you hiring in Kilkenny??

Driving in Dublin city isn't recommended, but the outskirts are ok. My advice is hire car at airport on arrival in Ireland and just get straight onto the motorway. Kilkenny is about 2 hours drive from the Airport all on motorway and dual carriageway.

Whether you do that or not, I would recommend driving to Whitehall to the B&B, drop bags and then drop car back to airport. Then you can hop on the bus back to the B&B.

I paid twice the price for a ticket at the station compared to online price (€30 increased to €60) so I would definitely advise that you buy online if you are getting the train. Also, you can't buy online within an hour of travel. I tried to book online on way to station, but couldn't.

Edited: 3:20 pm, May 01, 2013