We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Howth or Dalkey?

Which Dublin hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Boise
Level Contributor
15 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Howth or Dalkey?

We (70+ couple) are planning 4 days in Dublin before exploring other parts of Ireland. We would like a day out of the city via the DART to the Dublin coast. Do not want strenuous hikes, of course. Which would be more in\teresting for us - Howth or Dalkey. I love history. DH loves seafood and just being at the sea-side as it is a treat for us, being from Idaho!!

Thanks for helping me make up my mind as the trip planning is my job.

PARIS
Level Contributor
12,812 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Howth or Dalkey?

Seafod better in Howth!

Dublin
Destination Expert
for Valletta
Level Contributor
7,933 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Howth or Dalkey?

Only if you like seafood.

Belluno, Italy
Level Contributor
7 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Howth or Dalkey?

I have the same question. I'm staying in Dublin for two and a half days in a week's time and I want to spend a couple of hours outside the city. Can't decide.

Dublin
Level Contributor
1,844 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Howth or Dalkey?

#RobertaBerta, as you can see from the previous posts, both places are being recommended. To add to the confusion, I regularly recommend Malahide which is a small coastal village, with a nice atmosphere, loads of restaurants and coffee shops, and if you enjoy walking, there is a beautiful 3Km walk along the coast to portmarnock, where there is a magnificent beach.

You can get the #42 bus from the city centre to Malahide (50/55 minutes) or the DART train from the city centre to Malahide (20/25 minutes). The fare is €3.05 for either of them. Then, if you have the time, you could continue on from Malahide to Howth village, on the #102 bus which brings you to Sutton train station and from there get the DART train to Howth village. Howth also has a good selection of restaurants and again, if you like walking, there are some very nice walks around Howth Head with great views of Dublin Bay. The #31 bus would bring you from Howth village up to Howth Head and it would also bring you back to the city. You could also get the DART train from Howth village back into the city (Connolly station, Tara Street station or Pearse station).

Dublin
Destination Expert
for Dublin
Level Contributor
4,219 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Howth or Dalkey?

As the visit took place last May maybe the OP might let us know how their trip went?

Belluno, Italy
Level Contributor
7 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Howth or Dalkey?

Thank you, fenlaDublin!

To be honest, I've already been to Malahide, Howth and Sandycove. But it was twenty years ago. I've never been to Dalkey. The problem is that this time I will go with friends and I want to show them some Irish landascapes. One of them has never been to Dublin. The other one was in Houwth last summer, but has never been south. Nevertheless she insists we should go to Howth. We have a really short time so the only solution is going north OR south with the DART. We are going to Dublin for a concert on 29th December and are staying in Dublin only one afternoon and two full days, so we have also to take the time to visit the city. So, if I have to decide, which is the best solution to see beautiful landscapes (restaurants or bar are not important to us on this particular occasion) and possibly a beautiful village? In late December? Thanks.

Edited: 4:19 am, December 23, 2013
Dublin
Level Contributor
1,844 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Howth or Dalkey?

As two of you have already seen Malahide/Howth, notwitstanding that one of your friends wants to return to Howth, I think southside would be the choice, as all of you would then be seeing a new place. However, if you enjoyed Howth 20 years ago and one of your friends would like to go there again, well then, why not just go to Howth. I live northside and therfore would not be very familiar with southside areas, but on reading back through this post and the recommendations for the OP, I think you would enjoy the Dalkey area also- - but then, I guess you will all have to agree on that. Enjoy your trip.

Dublin
Destination Expert
for Dublin
Level Contributor
4,219 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Howth or Dalkey?

everytrail.com/guide/dun-laoghaire-dalkey-an…

Belluno, Italy
Level Contributor
7 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Howth or Dalkey?

In the end, I went to both places. I have to say that I liked Dalkey more. Howth is worth a visit too. Dun Laoghaire is nothing special. But I'm happy I could visit all the places moving by DART.

Dalkey number 1.

Edited: 1:47 pm, January 01, 2014
County Dublin...
Level Contributor
24,297 posts
Save Reply
20. Re: Howth or Dalkey?

Glad you enjoyed.

Many thanks for coming back.