We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ireland - Scotland - Wales

Which Dublin hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore
Level Contributor
4 posts
87 reviews
Save Topic
Ireland - Scotland - Wales

Planning to spend 1 week in these 3 countries. I am flying from Frankfurt.

A) What are the suggested places to visit (most likely heading to Dublin, Edinburgh/Glasgow and Cardiff but not necessary these cities, suggestions are much appreciated)?

B) what is the best way to reach these places?

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
51,559 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ireland - Scotland - Wales

I week in EACH of them, or trying to get to all 3 in 7 days?

Singapore
Level Contributor
4 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ireland - Scotland - Wales

All 3 in 7 days

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,367 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ireland - Scotland - Wales

I would suggest you do 2 cities, not 3 (I've never been to Cardiff but Edinburgh is lovely. Only been once to Glasgow and would choose Edinburgh over it but it can be done as a day trip). So I would use Dublin and Edinburgh as the bases. Then spent a couple of days exploring the actual city (hoho buses are good for this) the do a day trip or two to see more of the country (eg Glendalough/Wicklow from Dublin, I did Loch Lomond as a daytrip from Edinburgh.

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,367 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ireland - Scotland - Wales

Best way of getting between cities is using low cost carriers such as aer lingus, easyjet (although they don't fly to Dublin) or ryanair. Ryanair are fine but very strict on their rules re baggage and their website is a pain..

Singapore
Level Contributor
4 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ireland - Scotland - Wales

Thanks! By the way where can i join the day trip? Do i buy them before the trip or just join them when i m there? Indeed may just do dublin n edinburg.

Cavan
Destination Expert
for County Cavan
Level Contributor
4,460 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ireland - Scotland - Wales

I can see a lot of time spent in airport departure lounges. However I would agree with Ponaire on comments regarding two city destinations rather than three.

Co. Kildare
Level Contributor
504 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ireland - Scotland - Wales

I know Edinburgh and Dublin quite well and have travelled between the 2 countless times. Dividing your time between the 2 is certainly possible but is quite tight for time. More detail is needed to give any really useful advice.

1.When do you intend travelling? approx dates.

2. By a week/7days does that include travel on days 1 and 7?

3. Where do you go to next, back to Frankfurt or on somewhere else?

4. You are travelling from Frankfurt will you have been in Europe for a few days or is it your European arrival point, what time of day could you expect to leave Frankfurt?

5. To suggest places to visit we need some idea of your interests, Dublin and Edinburgh have loads to occupy visitors but so do the surrounding areas. Do you want history, art, culture, countryside, seaside, nature, walks, scenery.............

There is so much to see and do the consensus here is usually to savour small bites rather than rush round ticking off a list and not really seeing anywhere, its as much about feeling a place :)

Scotland
Level Contributor
268 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ireland - Scotland - Wales

Edinburgh is just beautiful. I would not bother with Glasgow.

Baton Rouge, LA
Level Contributor
7 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Ireland - Scotland - Wales

We are just starting the process of planning a trip to Ireland / Paris.

It's me and my husband . We are in mid 50's and good health.

We can take about 10-14 days. We are thinking about August or October this year. We are wide open about how to structure this. We want combo with the cities and some countryside as well. I assume we should rent a car in Ireland??But not sure if we should fly into Dublin and then out of same or another place??

Should we go to Paris first or last? We would like to stay in Paris 4 about 4 nights. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
18,392 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ireland - Scotland - Wales

All 3 in 7 days, A CD would be cheaper probably as entertaining and hold more memories. Why would you want to do such a trip??