We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do I have enough time between flights with Customs?

Salt Lake City, Utah
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Do I have enough time between flights with Customs?

Hi! My husband and I will be flying into the Dublin airport on a wednesday this fall. We are arriving at 5:25 in the AM from Chicago through Air Lingus or United. We will then be leaving the Dublin airport at 6:25 AM on Ryanair for Paris. Is this enough time???

Also, on the way back will be the same way. We will arrive at the Dublin Airport from Paris on Ryanair at 10:10 AM and leave the airport for the U.S. at 11:25 AM.

I don't know if the airlines are in the same terminal. I don't know if we have enough time to grab our luggage, head to the counter, check our bags, and get back through to the gates. What does everyone think?? What's the best way to do this so we have enough time because changing the flights now isn't going to be cheap!

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,591 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do I have enough time between flights with Customs?

I don't think an hour is enough. You will have to change terminals, the walk alone will take at least 10 minutes. What with immigration, customs and then security again in Terminal 1 it would be tough to do it in an hour.

Salt Lake City, Utah
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Do I have enough time between flights with Customs?

I changed the flight on the way back to having 6 hours before we leave at 3:30 PM. However, I can't change the flight in the morning, and there's no other flights out of Dublin to Paris until 730. That would mean staying in Dublin from 5:25 in the morning until 7:30, even after traveling the 14 hours to get there.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,591 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do I have enough time between flights with Customs?

But if you miss your connection you'll have to stay that length of time anyway! And pay for an extra flight!

I forgot to mention, if you're not flying on an EU/EEA passport you have to get your document's verified at the Ryanair Check in desk.

In 9/10 hours you could see a bit of Dublin or have a nap!

Salt Lake City, Utah
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Do I have enough time between flights with Customs?

So the best option would be to get off the plane at 5:25, get our bags and head into the city center for lunch and strolling, then head back and maybe sit in the airport lounge for a few hours and take the 7:30 flight to Paris?

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,844 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Do I have enough time between flights with Customs?

Why didn't you book Aer Lingus to Paris CDG ?

Ryanair fly to Beauvais some 60 miles north of Paris

You'll have to hand-ball your luggage back and forth

also Ryanair are in Terminal 1 Aer Lingus in Terminal 2

Grayslake, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,062 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Do I have enough time between flights with Customs?

United has a nonstop from Chicago to Paris CDG. Why didn't you book that?

Salt Lake City, Utah
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Do I have enough time between flights with Customs?

In regards to flying non stop to Paris, it was about 300 dollars more expensive so we thought we would save the money.

Also, I thought I had looked at all my options and didn't realize Ryanair flew into an airport 60 miles north, I wasn't paying attention, also the flight into CDG was about 40 dollars more, so once again we were saving money. We'll have to just end up exploring Dublin and then get into the airport near Paris around 10 at night.

County Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
782 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Do I have enough time between flights with Customs?

That's one of the drawbacks to Ryan air.... The airports are not always where you think (Barcelona is another one). Look at the baggage restrictions and follow them as well or you'll end up paying a lot more at the gate. Measure your carry on (you can only carry 1 item, your purse must fit into the carry on) or they will take it at the gate and charge a fortune to check it. If you follow all the rules then you'll be fine. You never know though... Your flight might get in early (sometimes you get a tail wind...) and you could make the flight..... (probably not but it could happen) Have a great trip....

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,591 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Do I have enough time between flights with Customs?

I think everyone would really love to help you make the right decision here but the most important question is, have you already booked anything?

Destination Expert
for Dublin
Level Contributor
3,261 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Do I have enough time between flights with Customs?

The best way to do this is with an Aer Lingus Chicago to Paris booking connecting in Dublin. Depending on your dates the winter schedule for the short haul flight might not be available yet. Your bags will be checked through, you won't need to change terminals in Dublin and you will arrive at CDG airport in Paris not at Beauvais!

But as already asked... Have you booked??