We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Passport

North Wales
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Passport

Can you travel from Holyhead to Dublin without a UK passport

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
27,298 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Passport

You don't necessarily need a passport to travel from the UK to Ireland but you will need some form of identification.

Obviously those of us without UK citizenship don't need to use UK passports.

You should check the website of the ferry company you are using.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
827 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Passport

Here is what I could find.

Irish Ferries recommend all passengers bring a passport with them. Irish and British citizens do not strictly require a passport to travel between the two countries - some form of identification is however required. Please note that all nationalities except Irish or British require passports. Non-EU nationals should check with the British or Irish embassy before travelling as they may also need a visa. Passengers who turn up at our ports without valid documentation may not be allowed to enter either Ireland or Britain.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,514 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Passport

You need the minimum of Photo ID to travel between the GB and the Island of Ireland provided you are an EU citizen, All others require Passports.

North Wales
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Passport

Thanks for the answers to my recent question re passport or southern ireland.

Rye, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Dover, Rye
Level Contributor
6,153 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Passport

When we got stopped, we had to show some kind of ID, I showed my passport as that is my main ID but whom I was with showed other photographic ID.

6. Re: Passport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, February 27, 2014