We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

6hr 40min layover in Dublin and would like to leave airport

Waldorf, Maryland
Level Contributor
49 posts
1 review
Save Topic
6hr 40min layover in Dublin and would like to leave airport

We - my family of four - arrive at 855am on a June 15 (Saturday) and depart for Rome at 345pm. Do we have enough time to taxi or bus to Dublin and see/experience the city or surroundings?

Best Seller
Northern Ireland Highlights Day Trip...
Best Seller
Cliffs of Moher Tour and Galway from...
Best Seller
Cliffs of Moher Day Trip from Dublin
1,204 reviews
from $62.30*
Best Seller
Blarney Castle and Cork Day Trip from...
1,056 reviews
from $68.50*
Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,606 posts
370 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 6hr 40min layover in Dublin and would like to leave airport

Assuming you land on time, deplane and collect baggage, lets say you will be in Arrivals about 09:45.

Departing for Rome at 15:45 will be busy at the airport. You would really want to be back at the airport 13:45 to check in at very least.

That leaves you with 4 hours. Journey to dublin city can take up to an hour (by bus) somewhat shorter by taxi. So lets say the two way journey takes 90 minutes from your time, that leaves you with 2.5 hours to explore dublin. NOT worth it, apart from being very stressful for you.

What you could do (and this would literally be to have some breakfast and stretch your legs before your onward) would be get a taxi to Howth (10Miles) or Malahide (5 Miles) which are pretty fishing / sailing villages/towns that are fairly convenient to the airport & time to get there and back is reasonable.

Waldorf, Maryland
Level Contributor
49 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: 6hr 40min layover in Dublin and would like to leave airport

Thank you ... I will check out Howth and Malahide! I appreciate your comments on time as it was exactly what I was looking for! Thanks again!

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,606 posts
370 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 6hr 40min layover in Dublin and would like to leave airport

Malahide would prob be better, at 5 miles from the airport, it is a taxi journey of 15 mins, and therefore your R&R time there will be maximised. I am guessing journey time to Howth would be about 25 minutes.

4. Re: 6hr 40min layover in Dublin and would like to leave airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 2:35 pm, January 27, 2013
Edited: 2:35 pm, January 27, 2013
Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
107 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 6hr 40min layover in Dublin and would like to leave airport

You may also visit Swords town, which is also just a few minutes from the airport. Although Malahide is probably prettier.

6. Re: 6hr 40min layover in Dublin and would like to leave airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, January 30, 2014