We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best tours of Ireland for History Buffs

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
18 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Best tours of Ireland for History Buffs

Another teacher and I would like to travel to Ireland in June. It will be her first trip abroad and only my second. Because we are newbies, we have elected to use a guided tour instead of venturing out on our own. We are history/literature/science teachers and are eager to experience the country we've only read about. We would like to travel in late May or June. Can you suggest a good tour to incorporate both Ireland and Northern Ireland? We could spend 12-15 days plus flight days. If possible, we are also looking at spending 3 or 4 days in London either before or after traveling to Ireland. Thank you for any help.

Wild Rover Tours
Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Day Trips
Rural Pub Tours
Bar, Club & Pub Tours, Night Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips
Wild Wicklow Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips
Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
18 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Best tours of Ireland for History Buffs

Thank you everyone. You have been very helpful. I checked into the tour companies you suggested, and I really like the Gathering Experience offered by wildwesttours.com. Unfortunately, I will not be able to book my tour until late March or early April, and I am affraid their small group tour will be sold out. Right now I am leaning toward incorporated all of your suggestions. I am going to hope for an opening with wildwesttours but plan for something with CIE to see the touristy sights. I am also going to rent a car to explore a few days on my own. Hopefully the left hand driving won't throw me too much...lol.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
410 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Best tours of Ireland for History Buffs

My friend went with CIE to Ireland and Scotland. The tour itself was OK but she and her friend felt like they were traveling with the definitive "ugly Americans" for the entire trip.

I'd suggest looking at the smartours.com Ireland trip. They only get travelers through word-of-mouth and I know from experience that there are always a lot of teachers and people who appreciate education.

One heads-up about the company. Smartours has a very small office staff and customer service is not their strong suit. The upside is that they spend your travel dollars on the trip rather than sales brochures and sales staff.

13. Re: Best tours of Ireland for History Buffs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, January 30, 2014