We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

6hrs layover in dublin - is it enough to do anything?

Which Dublin hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cachan, France
Level Contributor
80 posts
Save Topic
6hrs layover in dublin - is it enough to do anything?

Hi all

I will have a 6hr layover in Dublin on my way to Amsterdam in late March. My flight arrives at 5 am from Boston, and my next flight to Schiphol is at 11:30. I know it's very early in the morning, but i think i might visit the city center, take a walk for a good hour, and have a breakfast - with Irish coffee, yes! - at some good local cafe.

Is my 6hr layover enough to do something in the morning?

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,227 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 6hrs layover in dublin - is it enough to do anything?

Jullian, I really don't think you will have enough time. By the time you deplane, go through Immigration (assuming your bags are tagged through to AMS) it will be close to 6.30am (again assuming flight is on time) .

You will need to be back at the Airport by 10.30am for your onward flight and early morning traffic in Dublin can be terrible. I would suggest taking a cab to Malahide or Portmarnock having breakfast there, taking a walk along the beach and then taking a cab back to the Airport.

Also worth noting is that alcohol cannot be served before 10.30am so you may have to wait for your Irish Coffee :).

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,392 posts
369 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 6hrs layover in dublin - is it enough to do anything?

Problem is that city centre isn't 'properly' open until about 08:30 and I doubt you'll get an Irish coffee before 10. You should realistically be at your gate at 10:30am (I am assuming your baggage is booked through and that you don't have to check it in yourself).

Your realistic options are to:

(a) Hang around the airport (yuck)

(b) Get cab into town (40 mins), have a quick walk around, get breakfast and then grab a cab back about 09:00 (The one that would concern me the most)

(c) Get a cab to Howth (Fishing/Sailing village about 8 miles east of the airport)- the idea being to get in a bracing sea walk, and breakfast, before you return to the airport

(d) Get one of the free shuttle busses to one of the Airport adjacent hotels and have breakfast there (and maybe a sneaky irish coffee).

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,392 posts
369 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 6hrs layover in dublin - is it enough to do anything?

After reading Katys opinion above, I would like to scrap my option B !!!

4. Re: 6hrs layover in dublin - is it enough to do anything?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:20 am, January 25, 2014