We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What are some must see, non-touristy places, castles, etc?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
14 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
What are some must see, non-touristy places, castles, etc?

Looking for must see attractions that aren't touristy. Any suggestions between Galway and Dublin, and all of Southern Ireland?

Mentioned in this post
Galway
Galway
County Galway, Ireland
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
14 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: What are some must see, non-touristy places, castles, etc?

NiceIrlande, I see that you made a couple comments indicating that if a tourist visits a place, it’s considered “touristy.” I’m sorry, but I have to respectfully disagree. There are so many beautiful and interesting places worth seeing in the world that are not tourist attractions. A great example is Cahir Castle; while it may be considered touristy, it certainly isn’t advertised as so. In fact, I have never heard of Cahir Castle before this post, and I have been planning for months. When people visit Chicago, I recommend that they visit the John Hancock Building rather than the Willis Tower (formerly Sears Tower), because it isn’t as crowded and you actually get better views of the city. This is the type of information I’m interested in. Thank you Ray C for the suggestion, Cahir Castle is now in our itinerary!

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,215 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: What are some must see, non-touristy places, castles, etc?

>>>A great example is Cahir Castle; while it may be considered touristy, it certainly isn’t advertised as so. In fact, I have never heard of Cahir Castle before this post, and I have been planning for months.<<<

Sorta makes my point as in Ireland many of their nicest attractions are not widely publicized or marketed.

That said, we were aware of it (and the Swiss Cottage) because our research included the OPW website and their brochure map. I'm so thankful that we were aware of some of their lesser known sites and were able to see many of them including both Cahir Castle and Swiss Cottage.

Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Tipperary, Ireland
Level Contributor
474 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: What are some must see, non-touristy places, castles, etc?

Plus just outside cahir you have the mitchelstown caves which is worth a visit!!!

Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
407 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: What are some must see, non-touristy places, castles, etc?

If you aren't in a hurry, you can take a less direct path from Kilkenny toward Cahir Castle. We headed south from Kilkenny on our way down to Kinsale but did not take a direct route as we wanted to take a scenic route. Shortly after leaving Kilkenny, we stopped at Nicholas Mosse pottery which was an unplanned stop, but we happened to see signs for it. It's a historic old mill along a river - scenic place that you can take a brief walk through and see them making the pottery as well as purchase from their large shop. From there, we continued on through some quaint little towns, before coming upon Jerpoint Abbey. This is a great stop - beautiful views with interesting history. There is a 45 minute tour, but we hadn't planned on staying that long but the guide gave us the 15 minute version which was incredibly helpful to understand what we would see when we walked around the ruins. In hindsight, I wish we had done the 45 minute tour. From there, we headed to Carrick on Suir to see Ormond Castle, which is really an Elizabethan manor house. The tour, which is very informative, was free. While it wasn't the easiest to find, though only 5 minutes off the road through town, it was definitely worth the stop. There was no one there, but the guide was very knowledgeable and we were glad we stopped.

After that, we were headed toward the Vee Pass which would take us over the mountains to Lismore which was our next planned stop before making our way south to Kinsale. However, we missed our turn and ended up stopping to ask directions. The woman we asked said that we'd make better time if we took a different road than the one we planned, and that ended up bringing us just near Cahir. We drove right by (and darn, wish we'd stopped!) the Swiss Cottage and were only a few minutes south of Cahir Castle. We didn't do Cahir Castle that day as we were going to stop on our way back to Dublin on a different day. Instead, we continued south over the mountains to Lismore.

However, if you are interested in this route, you could easily see Swiss Cottage and Cahir Castle. I'm not sure what your destination is from Kilkenny, but if you were planning to do both Cahir Castle and Kilkenny, the route we took enabled us to see some "off the beaten path" tourist stops as well as get to see and stop in several little towns along the way.

We purchased the OSI Road Atlas and that is what I used to plot our routes from place to place. I'd look at the map in advance and as we were driving, as well as had my guide book, and that is what enable us to find several of these places that I hadn't necessarily heard about on TA before our trip. The map notes many historic or "tourist" places so using the map gave us an idea what we'd be able to stop and see along the way, even if it meant a quick detour off the route we were taking. it was a very useful resource to have!

Mentioned in this post
Kilkenny
Kilkenny
County Kilkenny, Ireland
Cahir Castle
Cahir Castle
642 Reviews
County Tipperary, Ireland
Kinsale
Kinsale
County Cork, Ireland
Jerpoint Abbey
Jerpoint Abbey
484 Reviews
Thomastown, Ireland
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
Swiss Cottage
Swiss Cottage
324 Reviews
Cahir, Ireland
Tipperary, Ireland
Level Contributor
474 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: What are some must see, non-touristy places, castles, etc?

Bean A, rossbeigh- stay at glenbeigh and its only 2 km away use local taximan

Ballinsskellighs bay - Waterville over looks the bay, derrynane- stay at caherdaniel only 3km away again local taximan.... Buses run daily from Killarney through glenbeigh Waterville and caherdaniel, hope this helps you with your travel plans!!

Mentioned in this post
Killarney
Killarney
County Kerry, Ireland
Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick
Level Contributor
28,085 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: What are some must see, non-touristy places, castles, etc?

Thank you Ray. But you stated in your post that

"The local bus company goes to every town and village in the country but the service might be once a day or every second day to some of the smaller villages."

When in actual fact they don't. Lots of places don't have bus services.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
14 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: What are some must see, non-touristy places, castles, etc?

Thanks Fourkids4us. We were actually going to purchase the Ireland maps for our Garmin GPS, it's $70 but we thought it might be worth it since we're planning to venture off the beaten path. Is the OSI Road Atlas sufficient?

Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Ireland
Level Contributor
3,271 posts
Save Reply
28. Re: What are some must see, non-touristy places, castles, etc?

Tracy W,

Chair Castle is listed on the Discover Ireland website:

discoverireland.ie/Arts-Culture-Heritage/…416

If it wasn't touristy before now then it is likely to be more so in the future given the fact that it is now being discussed on a forum visited by thousands of tourists!

Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
407 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: What are some must see, non-touristy places, castles, etc?

We had both a Garmin and the Road Atlas. Honestly, the Garmin was useful at times, but I preferred the road atlas because I like to see the bigger picture, not just what road is coming up and where I need to turn. You can buy the road atlas online, but we picked ours up in Kilkenny for 10 euro as I didn't think of it in advance. For the small price, I felt it was incredibly worth it. It is spiral bound so it's easy to use in the car, but also when hanging out in your B&B/hotel and looking at where you might like to go the next day. There were also times where our Garmin lead us astray and the map totally saved us. I actually heard about it here on TA and very kindly told where I'd be able to find one in Kilkenny (wonderful book store right on the main drag as we were walking around in Kilkenny).

I'm kind of a map geek though - I have a strong sense of direction but also really like to look at maps to familiarize myself with my surroundings.

Mentioned in this post
Kilkenny
Kilkenny
County Kilkenny, Ireland
Ireland
Level Contributor
12,652 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: What are some must see, non-touristy places, castles, etc?

Some places hardly have a weekly bus, especially in the more scenic-and remote areas.