We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

M1 toll Belfast to Dublin airport

Which Dublin hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Groomsport, United...
Level Contributor
1,545 posts
140 reviews
Save Topic
M1 toll Belfast to Dublin airport

I understand there is a toll at/near Drogheda on the M1. Couldn't find a recent post, so can someone tell me the current charge? and..is it a drive through booth with an operator?...and do they accept sterling?

cheers

Ireland
Level Contributor
3,584 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: M1 toll Belfast to Dublin airport

Hello Cats

The current toll charge is €1.90 for a car. Coaches/trucks etc incur other charge. Full price range here nra.ie/GeneralTollingInformation/…

There are both automatic and manned booths but unfortunately they only accept euros. Due to the volume of Northern Reg vehicles that use the M1, I often wonder why they dont accept sterling payments too.

As an alternative you can come off onto the R132 at Junction 10 if heading south, and drive through Drogheda/Julianstown and relink with the motorway at Gormanston. If travelling North, come off at Junction 7 Julianstown. Straight road either way, but with the added hastle of traffic snarls at certain times of the day if time is of the essence.

Groomsport, United...
Level Contributor
1,545 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: M1 toll Belfast to Dublin airport

thanks for that...I have a few spare euro coins so will go prepared..appreciate the advice

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,229 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: M1 toll Belfast to Dublin airport

You can also pay by credit card

Groomsport, United...
Level Contributor
1,545 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: M1 toll Belfast to Dublin airport

thanks, Soonas...that's useful to know

Belfast N. Ireland
Level Contributor
138 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: M1 toll Belfast to Dublin airport

Is there any charge to use credit card? Also is it possible to get change (if I have a €10 or €20 note)? Sorry for all the questions.

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,229 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: M1 toll Belfast to Dublin airport

Yes there is a cashier booth where you can get change

Belfast N. Ireland
Level Contributor
138 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: M1 toll Belfast to Dublin airport

Thanks

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,229 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: M1 toll Belfast to Dublin airport

And there is no charge for using a euro credit card, but your issuer may charge an additional foreign exchange fee if it is a sterling card. In that case cash is best

Oslo
Destination Expert
for Norway, Oslo
Level Contributor
11,656 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: M1 toll Belfast to Dublin airport

Not forgetting that it costs to exchange cash too, and to take cash out of ATM, so paying with card is probably the cheapest. Good overview of foreign transaction fees: bankrate.com/finance/credit-cards/latest-cur…

10. Re: M1 toll Belfast to Dublin airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, May 17, 2014