We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dublin - Alone

Fort St. John B.C
Level Contributor
238 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Dublin - Alone

My 19 year old daughter has it in her head that she wants to go to Dublin this summer for a month. I really don't know anything about Ireland/Dublin except, of course, what little we see on tv. Is it safe for a 19 year old girl by herself? Would you recommend a lower priced hotel/hostel or a apartment rental of some kind?

If you were her mother - would you want her going along? I always think you shoudl travel in a group or at least a pair so you have someone to watch your back.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Hostels in Dublin
Jacobs Inn Hostel
Jacobs Inn Hostel
#2 of 133 Specialty lodging in Dublin
Sky Backpackers
Sky Backpackers
#4 of 133 Specialty lodging in Dublin
Generator Hostel Dublin
Generator Hostel Dublin
#6 of 133 Specialty lodging in Dublin
Dublin, Ireland
10 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Dublin - Alone

Hi,

I'm much older but I just moved to Dublin solo 2 weeks ago and it's fine (and my mum still freaks out). Then again yes, thinking back to 19 it does seem a bit of a random choice. BUT if I had to recommend a starter city for any novice globe trotter it would be Dublin especially for that age group, it's very nice. So far, safe and EXTREMELY friendly and helpful It's like a mini city, which I love. Of course she'll have to be sensible, and take the usual precautions but I think that goes anywhere in the world at that age, and college in America isn't necessarily hazard free zone.

So she should be fine. Feel free to inbox me and if either of you have any questions let me know, happy to help :)

Mentioned in this post
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
277 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Dublin - Alone

What about a month long trip with a group? My cousin did this solo and had the time of her life. Went through the Contiki tour group; lots of options and she will be with people her age. Just a thought!

Dublin
Level Contributor
280 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Dublin - Alone

Hi,

I'd humbly suggest she start her visit to Dublin with something structured where she'll meet people - maybe a tour for a few days, or something here http://www.volunteer.ie/ or something educational for a week or so? That'd mean she'd be bound to meet people early on in her trip, and start it with purpose.

And don't worry! It's your job to worry, I know, but she'll be fine.

Mentioned in this post
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
3,860 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Dublin - Alone

It really depends on your attitudes and preparation as a parent. Has she travelled closer to home? As a native of Ireland I actively encouraged my son to make a trip to Dublin with some friends when he was 16 as an experience for future travel further afield possibly solo.

Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
Dublin
Destination Expert
for Dublin
Level Contributor
4,971 posts
299 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Dublin - Alone

We are still not quite sure what the OP's daughter wants to do yet.

London, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Dublin - Alone

Dublin is in the most part a safe city though there are bad areas, the same as any city in the world. your daughter should stay in the southside of the city in the dublin 2, dublin 4, or dublin 6 districts (not dublin 8 though). She should keep away from the rougher areas to the south city centre such as the top of o'connell street, Talbot street, Parnell street, Mountjoy square, Gardiner street, Amiens street (Dublin 1 area). There are quite a lot of budget hotels in this area but these are not nice places late at night for a young girl. She could stay anywhere on the green luas line or the dart line (but not on the red luas line!!). Also if she is planning on a month, she should consider travelling outside of Dublin, perhaps to Galway, Kerry, Cork etc. There are some beautiful places on the west coast of Ireland. Dublin is a lovely city with so much to see, so much history and culture, just keep in mind the few parts that are a little unsafe at night time.

Mentioned in this post
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
O'Connell Street
O'Connell Street
1,532 Reviews
Dublin, Ireland
Amiens
Amiens
Somme, France
Galway
Galway
County Galway, Ireland
County Kerry
County Kerry
Province of Munster, Ireland
Cork
Cork
County Cork, Ireland
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,597 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Dublin - Alone

I'm afraid I have to wholeheartedly disagree with Kittything, as someone who lives and works in Dublin 1 I think the places mentioned, maybe with the exception of Mountjoy Square, are perfectly safe.

There are areas of Dublin 1 I would avoid, Summerhill, Portland Row, Sean McDermott St, North Strand, Sheriff St, Crinian Strand, Seville Place but there is absolutely no reason why a tourist would be in these areas, especially at night, there are no hotels in these areas.

Anyone who has read my posts in the past knows I can get a little tetchy on this subject. I really don't want to start an argument but I hate sweeping generalisations. You cannot simply draw a line down a map and say this side is safe and this side is not, it's unrealistic and dare I say misleading. There are pockets of areas all over Dublin where tourists would be advised not to visit and they really have to reason to either, it's the same in any city!

The only think I can say to back up my post is that I live here, I walk on these streets everyday, I know exactly what they are like. Provided you use your city smarts you will be absolutely fine!

Sorry for the rant! :)

Mentioned in this post
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
Seville
Seville
Province of Seville, Spain
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
72 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Dublin - Alone

A backpackers bus tour is a surefire way for a 19 year old American in Ireland to go astray if she is so inclined! Legal age to be served alcohol is 18 which she will not be used to. It is a drinking culture.

My sister had a young relative of her husband come to stay and she went on a backpackers tour. She could not remember where she had been for the week due to the amount of alcohol consumed. She vaguely remembered cliffs when given prompts. From what we know the tour went to spectacular places. We were shocked even though we are Irish and did our pub time as students in Ireland at that age! You will know your daughter.

Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
19. Re: Dublin - Alone

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, January 14, 2014