We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

8 hourss DUB stopover too short to visit Dublin city center?

Which Dublin hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cupertino
Level Contributor
66 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
8 hourss DUB stopover too short to visit Dublin city center?

A family of 3(two adults, one teenager):

From Newark, NJ (EWR), arriving Dublin, Ireland (DUB) on Fri Jun 28, 2013 at 6:55am

Leaving Dublin, Ireland (DUB) at 3:00pm, to Burgas, Bulgaria (BOJ)

1. Only have backpack each with laptop

- all luggages are checked

2. Take taxi from DUB airport to College Green in central Dublin

3. Taking 2-hour Viking and Medieval Dublin Walking Tour starting at 10am

- looking around if we arrive earlier than 10am

4. Taking taxi at 12pm back to the airport as soon as the tour finishing at St Audoen's Church

Questions:

A. 8 hours stopover too short on Friday in Jun?

PS. we have Europes, no need extra time for exchange.

B. There are couple two house walking tours(city tour) are more interesting, but starts at 11am, and ends at 1pm, I think it is running too short back to airport, right?

thanks in advance,

Nancy

clare,ireland
Level Contributor
5,334 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 8 hourss DUB stopover too short to visit Dublin city center?

b -yes ur supposed tyto be at airport 2-3 hrs before flight ,PS. we have Europes, no need extra time for exchange -presume u mean euros

Cupertino
Level Contributor
66 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 8 hourss DUB stopover too short to visit Dublin city center?

Thanks clareirishman. My typo, I mean we have Euros.

guess my mind is in Europe now :)

Merry Christmas!!!

Destination Expert
for Dublin
Level Contributor
3,101 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 8 hourss DUB stopover too short to visit Dublin city center?

A taxi back to the airport from o'connell street will take 30 mins. You would be ok to get a cab at 12:30 and be there at 1. This would give you 2 hours which is plenty especially if you are already checked in? Who are you flying with? I believe Ryanair have some rule where non EU citizens have to get their travel docs stamped at the airport first.

Also transatlantic flights often arrive in early to Dublin so you might even get in before you think which would be a bonus

Dublin
Level Contributor
260 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 8 hourss DUB stopover too short to visit Dublin city center?

Yes, it's a decent way to spend your layover time.

- I suggest you research nice places for breakfast in Dublin city centre. Be aware that your flight may arrive early and give you extra time, so find some breakfast places that open early - I think McDonalds on Grafton St. opens v. early but I am not recommending it!

- You might consider planning a look around e.g. Trinity College after breakfast & before your tour starts. A stroll round St. Stephen's Green might be nice, from 8am.

- Be aware that you will probably be pretty tired & jetlagged when you arrive.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 8 hourss DUB stopover too short to visit Dublin city center?

You don't really have an 8 hour stay in Dublin when you take in to account airport queues, security etc. despite your baggage being pre-checked.

By the time you actually get out of the airport it could be 8am, You could get a lot done between this and the 11 am bus tour, but take in to account that you could be really jet lagged. If not, pre-print a map of Trinity College, Grafton Street and Stephens Green and get your taxi to drop you anywhere around there. Take a "hop-on, hop-off" bus tour (tickets can be bought online and so can the maps) and those buses take you much further than the immediate inner city Dublin - you even get to travel to Phoenix Park which is the biggest enclosed park in Europe and not only does our President live there but the American Embassador to Ireland also lives there and you get to see both houses (from afar!!!) The bus tour takes about an hour and a half and you could then easily get a taxi back to the airport in time! Enjoy!!!

Edited: 8:47 pm, December 26, 2012
Ireland
Level Contributor
916 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 8 hourss DUB stopover too short to visit Dublin city center?

Also, grab some food for your busy morning in Avoca , Suffolk Street. It opens at 9:30. Good home made products, great to eat in or take away. Yum . Its got a gift shop too if you've time. Bikie

7. Re: 8 hourss DUB stopover too short to visit Dublin city center?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, December 29, 2013