We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling alone to Dublin

Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Traveling alone to Dublin

Hello! I will be traveling to Dublin by myself on the 12th this month. Never stayed in a hostel before so i don't really know what to look for. I've been looking at the Jacobs hotel because someone recommended it to me. The Generator looks pretty good aswel. Anyone who has experience with either one?

I was also wondering if anyone here knows a few nice places to go in the evening. Hoping for a bar where they have jam sessions or live music?

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
12,659 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling alone to Dublin

I recommend that you look at www.hostelworld.com before you book any hostel. Whether you book on this site or not, you can read the reviews of hostels you are considering. Or you might find a hostel your like better.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,048 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling alone to Dublin

I would have thought you would get more answers on here. anyway to bump it up you might get something from this recent thread

tripadvisor.ie/…43112309

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
1,097 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling alone to Dublin

Hi

My daughter is there at the moment. She stayed the first two night at the generator and liked it. Said the people were really helpful but she has now moved on to Abigail's and says its good and the location is better. Hope that helps

Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling alone to Dublin

Thanks for the reply's. Ive found a nice hostel really central, which looks like something i'm gonna like.

As the date comes closer i'm getting more excited to see al the beautiful things the city has to offer.

I'm not scared for the 'dangers' of any kind, although i am a bit nervous since i've never travelled solo. Things like eating alone at night or going to a pub are new to me, but it seems like a lot of people are doing that so I won't be the only one in that then.. :-)

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
1,097 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Traveling alone to Dublin

When are you there I agree it's not easy. My daughter is having to be far more sociable than she would normslly. She loves Abigail's Hostel. Have fun

Edited: 4:22 am, December 11, 2012
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Traveling alone to Dublin

Is she there by herself aswel? I also chose a hostel close to the temple area in the hope its busier there then somewhere on the edge of town.

I'm leaving tomorrow evening and staying for 4 nights..

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
1,097 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Traveling alone to Dublin

Yes my daughter is there by herself.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,048 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Traveling alone to Dublin

Any exchange of names or other details should be done off screen by private messaging.

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
1,097 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Traveling alone to Dublin

Thanks sorry i hadn't even considered that. my post might look like a prelude to exchange of personal information. I thought the OP was just asking if another young person was coping alone. Don't worry I would never post my precious daughters details on a. Public forum ( or for that matter provide them to a stranger).

OP don't worry you will be fine esp if u are somewhere central. You will meet other travellers at the hostel and will enjoy Dublin.

Edited: 1:14 pm, December 11, 2012
10. Re: Traveling alone to Dublin

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:15 pm, December 17, 2013